Ch 52

Chris

Work seemed to be all I did for the past two weeks. I had been calling, and leaving messages for Zana almost everyday. I missed the hell out of her, and I could admit that I handled Zana and my mother's altercation all wrong. My mother was dead wrong for going behind my back and hiring Alicia to dig into Zana's past. I was blindsided by hearing that my parents hired Alicia, and that shit hurt me to my core.

My father knocked on my office door. I had been avoiding him for the past two weeks, by coming in late, and leaving early. "Hey son, could I come in?"

"It's your business." I said without looking up from my computer.

Pop walked in, and stood in front of my desk until I acknowledged his presence. I looked up at him twirling the hair on his chin.

"I'm sorry about the other day. Your mother just needed to know if Zana was right for you."

"So what did you two come up with?" I asked. I wasn't impressed by his little apology, because the shit shouldn't have went down in the first place. My parents made it seem like Zana was the best woman for me, and to pull this shit baffled the hell out of me.

"She's not the one for you son." Pop said with no hint of remorse of how I was feeling, "you could do so much better than her."

"So basically if a woman is not like ma then she's not good enough for me , huh?" I asked him.

"We have a reputation son, Zana doesn't fit well with this family."

"Oh, so having a gay son who's sleeping with a thug is alright? Or how about a son that's on drugs? Is that good for your reputation?" I stood from my seat, and grabbed my bag, "you and your wife can go to hell!"

My father grabbed my arm, preventing me from moving any further, "watch your mouth Chris. Now, I didn't raise you to disrespect me or your mother."

I was confused, these were the same two who paid money to ruin their own sons relationship. But I'm the one being disrespectful? "I know they say honor your parents, but I'm two seconds from cutting you shiesty motherfuckers off." I pulled away from him, and headed for the door.

"Son, wait!" Pop called out, but I held my middle finger in the air and kept it moving.

Kiara

"Happy birthday Ella!" I yelled with a cupcake in my hand. Ella was in her high chair clapping her little hands like she does when she was excited.
She was dolled up for her birthday, her curly dark hair was in two pig tails, and her pink tutu matched her booties. I just wished that she would throw that pacifier away.

Zana, and Tonya walked through the door holding balloons and small presents for Ella. Her big brown eyes lit up as soon as she seen the colorful boxes.

"Look at my baby!" Tonya said kissing Ella on her cheeks. She picked her up and bounced her on her hip. "You're getting so big beautiful."

"She is a little chunky baby." Zana laughed and tickled her belly.

Tonya set Ella on the floor, and helped her open a few presents. Zana stood next to me, snapping pictures of Ella. "Hey, are you okay?"

I smiled, "I'm alright, I mean, my baby is finally one. I'm in a good place now Zee."

Zana placed her arm around me, "I'm so proud of you. I know a few months ago I wanted to punch you until I seen your head cave in, but you've came along way Kiara."

I laughed at her, "I really thought you were!"

"So how is Eric?"

I shrugged, "he's hanging in there. I really can't wait for him to get home to me and Ella."