Ch 48

Chris

Work had been hell the last couple of days, especially today. It seemed like everyone in the city wanted a brand new car, so my father had me working everyday this week. Of course, Jason was missing in action, so that left me to pick up his slack.

From my office window I seen that mother had walked through the door strutting like she was a celebrity walking on to a set. She wore a cream colored dress with the buttons down the middle. She wore four inch heels and her curly hair was just done. Every Thursday was Mama's hair appointment, I knew this because Jason or myself would involuntarily take her.

I noticed that some of my co workers greet her with waves or a hug. She was well liked throughout the community.  Maredith Damewood gave to the black community, volunteered at local churches, and rescue missions.

Ma strutted to my office door walking right in without knocking. She stood in front of my desk with her hands planted on her hips.

"Yes ma?" I looked up from the pile of papers on my desk.

"Why didn't you tell me proposed to Zana?" The scowl on her face seemed to be permanent these days.

I folded my arms across my chest and smiled up at her. Her scowl broke and she finally smiled down at me. "I was going to tell you when I invited her over for dinner."

My mother walked around my desk and fixed the tie that I had on. She could never stay mad at me for to long. "I really like that girl. You better treat her right son, or you'll have me to deal with."

"I know ma. Have you spoken with Jason?"

She shook her head no. "He texted me the other day that he was fine and that he loved me. I'm worried about him these days Chris."

"Me and you both. I'll check on him soon ma."

"Alright son. I'm going to go and see about my husband. But you better come by for dinner Sunday." My mother kissed my cheek, and waved her goodbyes.

I finished for the day, and packed up my briefcase to leave. My father met me at the exit followed by my mother.

"Son, I need to holler at you for a second." Pop placed his hand on the door stopping me from leaving the building.

"What's up pop?"

He looked back at mama, and then back at me with a smile. "Did you and Zana pick a date for the wedding?"

"Damn daddy, we just got engaged a couple of days ago."

He laughed at me, "why wait?"

"Why are you trying to marry me off?" Pop was acting really suspect at that moment.

Pop shrugged his shoulders, "you're not getting any younger Chris, me and your mother will even pay for the honeymoon."

I raised a brow, I wasn't sure what my parents had up their sleeves, but I wasn't so sure when I wanted to marry Zana, all I knew was I wanted her as my wife one day. "What's going on with you pop?"

Pop loosened his tie, "I want to see at least one of my sons get married with babies. Now Jason dumb -"

"Charles!" Mama stopped him from saying something stupid. Pop was still upset about Jason coming out of the closet.

"All I'm saying Chris is don't wait to long, Zana may disappear." He chuckled and opened the door for my exit. As I walked away toward my car, I looked back at my parents who were still watching me. Those two were acting fishy, but I wasn't paying them any mind. I had dinner reservations with Zana and her parents. Zana wanted to tell them that we were engaged, and my nerves were getting the best of me.