Ch 28

Zana

Heartbroken. That's how I felt. I couldn't stop the tears from falling as I leaned against the wall. Someone else had lost their life over Rick's jealousy and deranged self. My grey sweat pants and basketball shirt was covered with blood, I couldn't leave the hospital to change, I had to be there.

"It's going to be alright." My mother tried her best to console me, but I wasn't having it. If it wasn't for me he would still be breathing.

"I don't want to hear that mama, I just need to hear if he's alive!" I cried. My daddy pull me into him, holding me tightly in his arms. "Why did I have to meet him daddy? Why can't he leave me alone."

Chris family came rushing into the waiting area looking for a doctor or nurse to explain what was going on. His father looked at me and pointed. I had never really been introduced to him, but seen him in passing.

"Your Chris's friend right?" Mr. Damewood spoke with his voice shaking from grief.

I walked over to his parents. His father looked just like his sons. His mother with striking light brown chinky eyes, and curly brown hair. "Hi I'm Tarzana."

"Any word about my son?" Mr. Damewood asked me.

I shook my head no. "I'm so sorry about all of this." I cried. My mother had to pull me away from him. Seeing Mr. Damewood and his wife worried and in tears had made me lose it.

The doctor walked in, and Mr. Damewood rushed to him. The doctor was looking down at his clipboard and looked up to see the family. "Doctor, I'm here for Damewood, any news yet?"

The doctors face was hard to read. His pale white skin shown no emotion once so ever. "We just wheeled your son into surgery. We're prepping him now. It doesn't look to good, he had lost allot of blood. If there is any changes we'll notify you and your family here." The doctor left the waiting area.

Mrs. Damewood wouldn't stop shaking, her hand stayed over her mouth, shocked at all the news she had just received. "My poor baby. I can't believe this happened to him. "

I set next to her rubbing her shoulders, "I pray that he makes it through this."

She looked around, "where's my son!"

"Calm down Meredith." Mr. Damewood demanded sitting on the other side of his wife.

"He's on his way, I called him as soon as the ambulance arrived at the house."

"Why were you there?" His mother looked me up and down wondering who the hell I was.

"I went back over there after Chris dropped me off at my parents house. I'm the one who called 911."

Her head dropped to her knees. My mother pulled me to the side, and her and daddy began to pray. Something we had always done in a time of crisis.

Just before we could say Amen, Chris rushed in the door. His clothes wrinkled and his face distraught. "What's going on, is he alright?"

I ran over to him and leaned into his arms. "It's horrible Chris. I found Jason by the entrance of your home bleeding out!" I cried in his arms.

His parents rushed to hospital side and hugged him as well. "Who would do such a thing?" His mother asked.

Chris eyes met mine. He knew exactly who would do that. "I don't know ma, but when I find him he'll wish that he never was born."

My father pulled me to the side, "we have to go baby girl."

"Why daddy? I need you here more than ever." I said looking over at Chris. His eyes red from crying.

"Your brother is getting out. They couldn't hold him because of the informant being killed."

"You mean Vanessa?"

Daddy nodded his head and hugged me. "I'll call you as soon as we pick him up. In the mean time, you be here for that boy over their, he needs you."

"Thanks daddy. Call me later."

I walked back over to Chris rubbing his shoulders. "I need to fix this."

Chris looked back at me his face full of confusion, "how are you going to fix this Zana? My brother is lying in there fighting for his life!"

"I'm sorry."

Chris stormed out of the waiting room. I sighed and set down away from his family. I knew he was upset, and all I wanted was to make things right. Meredith walked over to me and set down next to me taking my hands into hers.

"I don't know you sweetheart, but thank you."

"For what?" I asked her.

"For finding my son, and getting him the help he needed. I don't know what kind of relationship you and my son Chris has, but I'm glad you were in his life at this time. There's no telling if my son would have died or not." Meredith stated then hugged me tight. "And thank your parents for praying for my baby. I don't know what I would do if I lost my son."

"He's going to make it." I said reassuring not just Mrs. Damewood, but myself. "He will."

Mrs. Damewood patted my lap, and headed back to her husband. I was in thought. How did Rick even know where Chris lived? It breaks my heart to know he would take innocent lives just to get what he wanted. I would be there for Chris no matter what. I knew he was upset, but he needed me just as I needed him right now.

*****

Chris

I was standing outside pacing in front of the emergency entrance with a cigarette between my lips. My brother was in there fighting for his life. Rick had to die. And he was going to die by my hands. I didn't give a fuck anymore. This wasn't about Zana anymore this was about my brother who may die soon.

"Hey, I thought I'd find you out here?" Zana said touching me on my arm.

I looked at her hand like it was a virus.

"Did I do something wrong?"

"My brother in there fighting for his life all because of you!" I screamed at her pushing her out of my way.

"Excuse me? Are you really blaming me for this shit?" Tears welled into her eyes. I wanted so badly to touch her and let her know I didn't mean it. But I was upset and angry, and she was the closest thing to lash out at.

"I don't want you around me, go the fuck on Zana. Leave me the fuck alone." I screamed pushing her out of my way.

"Chris!" She called after me.

I kept walking, not daring to turn to see her tears fall.

"Chris, please stop!"

I had to get away from her. Every word I had just spoken I didn't mean, but right now I had to tend to my brother and my family.