Ch 56

Zana

Chris and I stood outside of the police station leaning on the car. We were waiting on Eric to be released from jail, and noticed that Sky was walking out with her head hanging low. I watched her walk toward her car, and drive away. I hoped like hell that she told the officers and the lawyers that Eric was innocent, for her own sake.

"What did you do Zee?" Chris asked me, pulling me to him.

I smiled up at him, "I did what I had to do."

"So you gangster now girl?" He asked me.

I was quiet. I was only helping out a friend. Eric had always been kind to me, and the fact that he was in love with my best friend was a bonus.

Eric walked out of the double doors, his hands raised to the sky. I could tell that he was glad to be a free man. "Free at last!" He yelled out. Two police officers walked up the stairs staring  him in his face, but Eric ignored the stares. He ran down the stairs toward me, and picked me up in the air to hug me. "Yo, you saved me Zana!"

Chris laughed at us. "Nice to see you man. I know you're happy to be out."

"Man, I can't believe that girl, but thanks to your woman, a man is out and ready to do right by my own lady." Eric said. I could see the love in his eyes when he spoke of Kiara. Who would have thought those two would even end up together.

"Let me go!" I hit his back with my fist. He let me down, and threw his bag in the back seat of the open window.  "So where are you going now Jail bird?"

"Take me to the hospital, I need to see my girl."

Chris dropped Eric off at the hospital. I watched him throw his bag over his shoulder. I leaned out of the window and smiled at him. I knew that Kiara would be so glad to see her man, even if she was still angry with him. "Hey!" I called out to him

Eric turned around, "what's up?"

"Tell Kiara that I love her, and I'll see her later on. You better not hurt her again, or I swear I'll beat your ass Eric!" I said with a serious expression on my face.

Eric nodded, and made his way into the entrance of the hospital. Chris pulled off, and we headed to our date we had planned.

I got a text from my mother that said that Carson was out of the hospital, and we all needed to talk right away. I sighed, I was really looking forward to having a date with Chris.

"Do you mind dropping me off at my mother's house so that we could talk?" I asked him laying my hand on his shoulder.

"Yeah that's fine, I'll pick you up when you are ready, just call my cell." Chris said, making a U-turn toward my parents house. The whole way there I thought about what my mother wanted to talk with me about. I was glad that Carson was home, but it scared me too. I knew Carson needed treatment for his drug habit. Chris pulled up in front of the house, and I turned to face him. I smiled at him, then kissed his lips.

"Babe, you're acting like you will never see me again." He laughed, but I knew he was serious.

"I just love you, that's all."

"Well, hurry your little ass up, and call me when you're ready Zana."

I nodded, and got out of the car. I turned once more, and waved goodbye.

Carson

I set on Zana's old bed, and looked over at the picture of us on her night stand. We were so close then, and so happy. I don't know exactly where we went wrong in our relationship. Maybe it was the drugs, or maybe it was  the fact that Rick had changed my baby sister. Either way, we weren't the  same anymore. Zana was my best friend, someone I went to when things got crazy. I wished that things were different between us now...