¹

finn was seventeen again.

as he stands just outside the extraordinarily tall building centered in the mix of new york city; butterflies swarmed his stomach and lifted him from the ground. just the way he had felt three and a half years ago; at seventeen.

he double checks the apartment number scribbled in pen on his hand. finding the corresponding button of the buzzer. he waits.

"hey finn. come on up, i'll buzz you in."

violets sweet honeysuckle voice leaks through the speaker. causing finn to take a deep breath as the door unlocks for him.

it had been about a month since finn had last seen violet at the concert. non stop, there had been texts between them; planning out a trip for him to come down there to visit in his free time.

finally, the time had come. for his flight had landed no more than two hours ago.

he hesitates as he stands in front of her door, excited to see her; there was a lot he worried about. if the conversations would be a bore. or if the spark really had disappeared, for that would scare him the most.

violet hears rhythmic taps echo her apartment. she wasnt far from the door, as she had just walked into her home herself not that long ago.

she opens it, an instant smile attached to her lips as she inspects him. his gentle grin lights her heart, a deep grey button up attached to his torso; a bouquet of roses in his hand.

"hey, vi." he whispers.

she pulls him into a hug, dodging the bundle of flowers that stay to his hand. she doesnt stand much shorter than him in her heals, but the height difference had somehow turned drastically since they were teenagers.

he hands over the red flowers wrapped in plastic.
"these are for you."

she takes them with a smile.
"wow, these are beautiful. thank you."

he nods politely, his curly hair not having changed a bit.

"come on in." she leads him into his apartment; to the large open kitchen. counters covered in white marble.

he stands at the island counter, watching as she pulls a vase out from below; filling it with water.

"violet, this place is incredible." he looks around in awe. everything spotless and laced in the smell of cleanliness and her.

"thank you." she gleams,
"wasn't easy but i managed."

he smiles to her, taking in her beauty. the freckled constellations that spread to her heavenly face.

"anyway, how was your flight?" she asks.

"bumpy, but; sort of a given over the great lakes."

"i'm sorry i couldn't pick you up, i just walked through the door myself. late night at work." she slips the heals from her feet, carrying them back over to the door.

"its no worries, really. the driver you sent was a nice guy."

"yeah" she chuckles, opening her fridge to pull out a bottle of wine and glasses from the counter.
"marlo is a nice guy."