³⁶

it was impossible to claim that liking the rain wasnt cliche. but violet just couldnt help it.

there she stood, centered in the hottest place in california; the colorado desert. what she would do for the rain right then.

across the chest of her black tshirt read pink floyd.
it bags at her mid thigh, still smelling of him despite having it for three weeks. her converse scuff in a coat of dust.

around her, equipment is set up. a camera taking test shots of the environment around and assistants changing settings around to get it perfect.

violet couldnt wait to get home, her and a couple of coworkers had plans to go out to their normal club that night. she only had a couple more hours left.

"violet! you need to get your models sorted."

"i'll have their names in by monday, maverick i swear."

"i need both names by monday, no exceptions."

"sure thing." she mumbles, the craved air hitting through her hair.

the day seemed to drag, the consistent nagging from her boss; and she was ready for a break.

and eventually, the time came.

she hops into her car, racing down the highway to get back to nicks house. her clothes stick to her body, sweat lacing her hands that grip to the steering wheel.

soon, she pulls into the driveway. the sun sets in purples as she pulls open the white door. she had expected to see maxine or nick home, but to her surprise she was the only one in the ghostly house.

she sheds the sticky clothes onto her bedroom floor, sliding the squeaky hangers across her clothing rack in search for a dress that she already had in mind.

she slips the silky dress up her body, zipping the black fabric up tightly against her skin. slipping on her shoes as she hears the front door open.

she grabs her purse, keys in hand as her heals clink out to the kitchen. shes met with a gentle smile from nick, his work bag still attached in hand.

"hey vi, going out tonight?"

she shrugs, glancing down at herself.
"for a few hours."

"you look really nice."

"thanks nick." she smiles, taking a water bottle from the fridge. she begins to leave, stopped with his voice before she reaches the door.

"hey, vi? dont forget that finns coming tomorrow. maxine said shes buying new sheets for you to set out before then."

"sounds good, see you tonight." she leaves, huffing at the closing of the door.

violet didnt waste time getting to their normal location, the bar being full for a friday night. as her eyes scan the crowd of rowdy drinkers for her friends, she couldn't help to wonder how the show was going for finn tonight.

she knew that in her mind she often contradicted what she felt. she wasnt ready to see him again, but she thought about him often.

a lot less, however, than what finn had hoped she did.

from across the club, violet spots alec; the first person she befriended in the stressful chapter of her job. the first one that greeted her with such warmth in california.

his stocky body stands centered in a crowd of their coworkers. most of the younger ones that stuck to be around violets age. she approaches them, standing beside alec with a smile as he greets her in a hug.