⁴⁷

"violet cage, is it?"

"yes" butterflies fill her stomach as she sits up on the elevated hospital bed. finn holds onto her hand as he helps her settle in. he stands next to violet, heavy hearted and anxious. regardless of his feelings, he still holds onto her hand sweetly, masking it away to not show.

"and you are?"

"finn wolfhard, ma'am" he holds out his empty hand to greet her.

"and are you the dad? or-"

he nods, squeezing violets shoulder.

"perfect" the young nurse gives off a bright smile at the couple.
"im just going to ask you to push your shirt up a bit, miss cage. go ahead and lean back on the bed here and we'll get started!"

violet does as she says, waiting curiously with a lump in her throat as she watches the nurse slip blue latex gloves on.

"is this your guys' first time as parents?'

violet smiles gently with a nod. she knew this was supposed to be such a happy time for them, she knew this appointment was only crushing finn entirely.

"that so exciting! well, no need to be nervous, this will only take a second."

violet and finn talk quietly amongst each other as their nurse gets the ultrasound machine ready. it doesn't take long, but with so many emotions in the room, they wished it had.

"this is going to be a little cold, violet." she spreads the dreadful blue gel across her normal sized stomach. she didnt feel much different after five weeks; a bit of morning sickness every now and then and a feeling of constant bloating. although it was nothing significant nor noticeable by then.

the wide eyed couple stares to the screen of nothing, and then suddenly, the small centered oval on the screen is pointed out by the woman in the scrubs.
"theres your baby! right now at five week, that small speck is about the size of an apple seed. although just within the next week your baby will almost double in size; so its really important that mom gets extra rest during this time."

a wave of unexpected happiness washes over the two new parents. a smile so gentle to finns lips as he stares in awe to the screen.

"i'll make a couple copies of the ultrasound and we'll go over mandatory vital checks; we can send you on your way after that!"

"great, thanks so much" violet waits until her stomach is wiped off before she pulls her shirt back down.

"do either of you have any questions?"

"yeah actually, we were looking into ab-"

"we dont-!" violet urgently cuts finn off, catching him off guard as his eyebrows furrow.
"we dont have any questions."

the nurse hesitates,
"great. i'll just go grab the paperwork and i'll be right back in to do that checkup."

finn waits until the two are left alone in the room together to finally look to violet.
"i thought you wanted to ask about the abortion options while we're here?"

she looks up to him, eyes to his as her shoulders shrug.
"our babies the size of an apple seed, finn."

his heart skipped, stomach leaped, but he didnt dare get his hopes up.
"what do you mean?"

there was so much to explain as to what put the change in her mind, there in that doctors office. so many things that she felt necessary to explain to him but didnt know how. she didnt know how to tell him that suddenly she understood their entire relationship so instead, she whispers ever so simply,
"i want to be a mom."