⁵⁸

three in the morning was not ideal but it was the time she decided to come.

it took violet by surprise, that was for sure. for one moment she was dozing off in a hospital bed, and the next there were doctors in the room; and only mary and finn were left.

finns heart was jumping from his throat, hearing his own heartbeat in his ears within all the commotion. his hand that held onto violets was sweaty, and he wasnt sure he could stomach it.

he knew if he didn't watch, she would never let him hear the end of it.

so he stayed.

he always, stayed.

she wasnt in labor long, she was thankful for that. there were so many things she would have rather done then go through what she did. within three hours the commotion-less hospital room turned to screaming cries from seven pounds of chaos.

they didnt get to see her for another half an hour after that, for the new parents allowed for her to be printed, examined, and cleaned before they could reach her. it was the longest thirty minutes of violets life, finns too.

luna is eventually placed gently into her arms, violets racing heart stops and everything is still. looking into her eyes was as if looking into finns. and suddenly, eyelashes and eyebrows were the worlds most interesting things.

the way the baby calmed down the moment that she was held, made violet sigh in a mental relief. perhaps she knew right from then that luna would never be a huge handful.

finn squats down next to them to meet just below eye level with the two most important things in his life. his hand ever so carefully grazes lunas tufts of hair on the tops of her head; dark and soft. violet stares to the smile on his face, feeling so warmhearted at the moment that she thought they finally needed.

"shes so beautiful." finns voice whispers between them. despite violets on him, his eyes never dared to leave his daughter.

"we didnt do so bad, huh?"

he isnt left to do anything but stare. despite his mom agreeing behind him, the room fell silent in his mind. unbeknownst to him, a smile is stapled to his lips; not daring to leave for a large amount of time

"do you want to hold her?"

his eyes shoot up to meet an endless depth of pale green, a gentle nod as he stands back up.

violet didnt know the first thing about babies. she hardly grew up with any around, she never held one. she was afraid of doing it wrong, worried that nobody would be there to show her.

finn, however, had been through the first time jitters of handling a baby by then. growing up the youngest of a rather large extended family, he had plenty of experience.

it showed as violet hands her over gently, the unawkwardness that presented itself as he pulled her close to him. he puts his finger between lunas small hand, her warm fingers peaking out of the wool blanket to hold onto him.

violet watches from the bed as mary stand over his shoulder, awing over luna and congratulating the two. there was so much occurring all at once, and violet couldn't quite explain what she wanted at that moment. she wanted to get up and walk around, the numbness of her legs disagreed. she wanted to take a shower, but didn't want luna out of her sight. she wanted to see the band, but her head couldn't withstand any more commotion.

"shes got your nose." finn teases, glancing at the blank stare of thought on violets face.

a smile creeps to her lips, shaking her head in a gentle chuckle as they hear a gentle tap at the door. a doctor comes in, tall and grey; glasses placed to the bridge of his nose and a clipboard pressed against his side.

"how are you feeling, violet?"

"a little sore, tired really."

"we'll get you on some pitocin for the pain here in a minute. and once we know everything is healthy for you and luna, we will move you guys to a quieter wing to get some rest and a shower if you'd like."

violet thanks him, accepting the medicine given to her by an incoming nurse.

"are we allowed more people in?" finn asks the brown haired nurse.

she smiles brightly at the famous boy she recognized long before that day.
"as many as you guys would like."

"could you grab dad and the band, mom? i know they've been waiting for a while."

mary agrees, quietly leaving violet and finn alone.

they dont speak between the both of them, instead they both stare to luna as she rested silently in finns arms. he takes a seat on the couch next to violets bed, taking in his daughters warmth that radiated through her blanket.
"i cant believe shes actually here."

"im so scared."

"me too" finn stares up to her, admitting it for the first time since violet had announced she was pregnant. up until that point, he had always seemed to give off that the situation was under control. it relieved violet in so many different ways to hear the sentence roll off his lips.

"i want to give her everything, you know? for her to have the best life."

"violet, youre not your mom." his eyes lock on hers from across the room. understanding what was running through her mind.
"you put everyone else before you, youre going to be a great mom."

her heart jumps to her throat, knowing all too well that it wasnt true. she put herself first often and she hated it.

everything is abruptly cut off as the door swings open, jack comes speeding in infront of everyone else. his hand covers his mouth to force him to be quiet in such excitement. his eyes stick to the baby, but he keeps his distance. he points to the baby, staring at violet in shock as she nods an obvious chuckle.

"thats your baby!" he whispers.

finn glaces up at his friend, back down to his daughter within seconds.
"you can hold her if you wash your hands and sit."

within seconds, jack races to the sink to quickly wash his hands.

"shes so cute." aylas soothing voice sits next to finn, resting her chin to his shoulder to watch the sleeping baby together.
"can you tell us the name now?"

"its luna." finn announces.

"luna what." jack asks, sitting on the other side of finn with clean hands.

carefully, luna is set in jacks arms. finn reminding him to hold her head and to be gentle.
"luna wolfhard."

"cant believe you actually didn't give her a middle name-"

"what jack means, is that its beautiful. lunas a perfect name for her."

"she is beautiful." jack looks up from the baby to his newly parented friends.
"you guys did so good."

"thanks man." finn stands, making his way to stand by the bed with the others.

eric approaches his son, pulling him into a hug. quickly following a gentle hug to violet. finns dad pulls away, eyes glossy with a kind smile behind his beard.

"dont cry, dad." finn smiles, hugging his dad once more.

"you've just grown up so fast." he tries to wipe it away, hiding like finn always did.
"im just so proud of you guys."

violets body fills with warmth as she glances around at the situation before her. everyone she loves in one room to celebrate something so special to her.

she had been happy several times before then. but that moment was different, overwhelming, memorable.

a room full of family.

her family.

1300wc

-next chapter is the last for this book, uhoh