²⁴

it was safe to say that something was admittedly wrong that day.

but the truth was, not a single one of them saw it coming.

leaving the devastation mind shattering.

that day started kindly, perfectly in fact.

the berlin sun led the group to the airport, most of the band having heavy hearts with the thought of leaving. they didn't want to leave such a beautiful place behind to head to something rather boring and normal.

"finn you get the seat alone, i did it last time." malcolm grins to him, handing over his ticket.

finn groans,
"malcolm, i have a seat next to vi."

"even better." he teases him, switching the tickets between their hands.

finn sighs, his hands running through his hair as he inspects the new boarding ticket between his fingers.
"this seats all the way in the front of the plane. i'm not even close to you guys."

"oh, you'll be alright." violet grins to him, nudging his side with her elbow as they wait in line in the boarding tunnel.

"violet." he whines, being dramatic on purpose.

"you'll be sleeping anyway." she reasons, the both of them letting the conversation go and focus to the talk amongst the others.

as they board, finn takes his seat in the front half of the plane. he shoots malcolm a glare behind him as finns sat in the middle seat between two girls who seemed interested.

"the one time i don't take the seat next to strangers." malcolm mumbles as he takes his seat next to violet towards the back of the plane.

violet chuckles, getting comfortable next to the window.
"says a lot coming from an engaged man."

"oh i love my fiancé. doesn't mean i cant friend foreign girls, you see?"

"finn told me last night, about her." violet speaks, watching as ayla and jack take a seat across the isle from them.
"how did that even happen?"

"we had another tour spot in tennessee, two years ago almost?"

"and what? you guys just didn't realize you liked each other until then?"

"not exactly." malcolm stares down to his lap, fiddling with his fingers.

"then what?"

"her and finn, hooked up while we were there. he got real upset about it afterwards and made her cry, telling her that they wouldn't be together and that it was a mistake."

"oh." violet swallows harshly, looking down herself.

"she ran down to the lake, i took a chance and followed her down there to try to make her feel better. we just clicked i guess?"

"that doesn't bother you? that you clicked after she hooked up with finn?"

"at first it did, and i guess when i over think it, yeah." he shrugs,
"but she said yes when i asked her to marry me, and that to me was reassurance that she was actually in."

violet doesn't respond, his situation didn't settle well in her stomach. without seeing it herself, she knew their relationship couldn't be stable. and that he was making a mistake.

maybe it was that she cared too much for malcolm. or maybe it was that she cared too little for maddie.

regardless, she lets it go. offering to share a movie with him and tried to take the peace in of the calm flight.