⁵²

it was a late tuesday night.

violet had a long day from the very beginning when she woke up in a rush to get to the bathroom. nearly missing the carpet instead.

and after managing people who seemed to be out of their minds within their requests all day; her eyes were heavy, and the highway had become a bore to drive on.

still she took her time, for finn had a show a bit earlier that day and wasnt planning on being home until late either.

typically, she received a text from him before he leaves. so she only assumed she would still manage to come home to an empty house; which she dreaded to do these days as she progressed weeks further along.

violet unlocked the apartment door with her key and confusion to her face.

the lights all remained off except for the glow from the lamp within the dark living room. she hears the background noise from the tv and tries to reason with herself how he had gotten home before her.

she sets her work bag down next to the door, dropping her keys on top of it as she approaches the sound in her heals. violet chuckles gently at the tentativeness finns eyes held to the screen.

"what are you watching?"

"youre not going to die, right?" he looks to her.

violet practically bursts in laughter as she sees the worried look and glossy eyes from her best friend.
"what are you talking about?"

"this documentary, its about the moms dying after their pregnancy. are you sure youre going to be okay? maybe this isnt a good idea."

she sighs, sitting down next to him as she throws the blanket on top of him, over herself as well. violets head rests to his shoulder as she grabs the remote and turns the tv screen to black.
"youre an idiot, you know."

"im so worried about you. its all i can think about now, i wouldn't know what to do if i had to leave the hospital without you."

she lifts her head to look him in the eyes closely. she lets out a teasing laugh as she admires him.
"im not going to die, drama queen."

"you dont know that." he wraps his arms around her waist, resting his head to her shoulder.

she nudges his side with her elbow, trying to change the subject. she was scared too.
"how was the show?"

"long." his throat was sore, and scratchy. his body was tired.

violet spins the entry wrist band around to look at the venues design across his pale wrist; interested at its bland design.
"big crowd?"

"eh." his eyes close,
"it was alright."

as much as finn wanted to, he couldn't get his mind off violet and the sudden nervousness as the weeks progressed.

it was week twelve; nearing three months. violet was still thin and tall, she feared of gaining unnecessary weight within her body and she never liked to talk about what was growing inside her. talking reminded her that it was real and unpreventable at that point in their relationship.

finn loved to talk about it. bringing up any excuse to tell practically everyone he knew. announcing it at shows to their fans, announcing it to cashiers at the store that tend to flirt with him. he refused to stop, even with violet who he knew didn't like to bring it up too often.

waking up one morning, he had noticed the small bump forming under her work skirt. it was minuscule, like she had eaten too much and was bloated. regardless it spread a smile to his full lips and happiness to his gut. he supposed that it hadn't felt real until that moment.

he didn't tell her, he didn't want to scare her.

"have you called to make that appointment yet?"

violet sighs, staring out the window which ledged in newly falling leaves.
"i'll do it tomorrow morning before work."

"six weeks from now."

"what do you want it to be?" she looks over to him within the dim lamp light on the living room table.

their next appointment was the big one, the one that determined what new parents craved to know.
"dont bullshit me with the i dont care."

"i want a girl." he speaks honestly,
"i want to her to look just like you."

"hm." she hums in interest, staring at the carpet.

"is that what you want?"

her head shakes within reason.
"i grew up with all girls at the orphanage. a boy would be a nice change."

"i know that you said you didnt want to hear it, but id be happy with either. i mean really, im excited to take them out to do things regardless."

"i still want a boy." she jokes, playing with her nails that tended to peel away.

"i hope whatever it is, its into music. i swear the band would never let it go if it wasn't."

"you're not forcing that on our kid, got it?"

"im not a dick, if its not a music fan then so be it."

she smiles at his seriousness in the situation,
"it'll look up to you no matter what, you know. want to be just like its dad up on stage."

"well, maybe its dad wont be up on stage at all by then."

her smile fades,
"what are you talking about?"

"theres going to be a point where im going to have to choose between you guys and the band. and im obviously going to stand behind my family no matter what. maybe that times going to be sooner than we thought."

"no!" she practically gets out of her seat, holding onto his arm to try and talk close with him.
"ive, decided that what i have going on is nowhere near the value of what you've got."

"what? of course it is."

"im not an idiot, finn. your job comes once in a lifetime."

"you come once in a lifetime."

her head shakes,
"if we run into a rough patch, i will quit and stay at home. and before you argue with me, thats what i want to do. family comes first for me too and if that means you can be happy and so can our kid; then thats what im going to do."

he sighs, unwilling to argue.
"youre going to be the best mom."

"i know." she whispers, kissing his forehead gently to leave in order to meet him in the bedroom to call it a night.

she'd try to quit her job, but it was a problem that would present itself later.

for as she learned years ago when she first met finn;
its hard to leave the things you love behind.

1130 wc

~what do you think, boy or girl?