⁵⁹

thursday morning brought in one of the coldest days of winter. the sun glimmered across the inches of snow to the city sidewalks just outside the car window.

violet turns from the passenger seat every now and then to check in on their sleeping baby in the backseat. as for finn, his eyes didnt dare to leave the road for a second. his hands gripped to the wheel in a sweaty haze and his body sat tense. it was the most nerve racking drive home, with his brand new baby in the car.

together, they couldn't wait to get home after a few restless nights in the hospital beds. they couldn't wait to show luna around their unbelievably now small, one bedroom apartment.

stress was an understatement for the two, for they were only prepared with a crib that tucked in the corner of their bedroom. finn didn't want her to worry about it, he couldn't begin to imagine how she was feeling. he felt uttermost pity for her.

as the warm car is eventually parked in the snowy parking lot of home, violet carefully reaches for the extra blanket by her feet. she hands it to finn, hardly needing to explain to him what it was meant for.

as if he were prepared, he takes it from her and heads around to the back door of his jeep, covering the baby carrier up with the soft pink blanket and detaching the carrier from the car.

carefully, he catches up to violet at the front door of the apartment building; his daughter sleeping peacefully in warmth in the carrier at his fingertips.
"does this mean i should buy a minivan now?"

"how could you not know that, finn." violet jokes, taking the sketchy elevator that they hardly ever took. she was just too exhausted to move, everything hurt.

within the silence in the elevator, he could practically feel the stress and exhaustion radiating from her. peacefully, he holds her hand in the warmth of his. she hardly notices, staring down to the ground as they make their way onto the correct floor to their apartment.

"i'll take luna to the store to pick up diapers and formula if you just want to rest. i know its been a long week." his gentle toned voice is swallowed in the cold hallway of the building. ill lit and drafty.

"its been a long week for the both of us." her head shakes, knowing well that there were a few times in the night at the hospital that she should have been woken up by a crying baby. and that finn had taken care of it before luna even managed to make a sound.

he was without doubt, running on less sleep than she was.

"you need the rest." he reassures in a kind smile, opening the door to their home.

violet reaches for the thermostat, pushing more heat through the building as the outside winds drafted cold air from the windows. she walks stiffly to the livingroom, just needing to sit down to help the pain that shot nerves through her body.

finn follows her, setting lunas carrier on the floor gently; and moving her warm body to his arms.
he sighs into the back of the couch, his head propping itself up by violets; which laid to his shoulder.

"im so happy to be home."

she hums in agreement to his raspy voice, her thumb gently running over lunas ever so dark hair.
"not that we'll get much sleep here either."

"she does like to cry, doesn't she?"

"only when we're trying to sleep." violet chuckles, the both of them admiring their baby as they sit to the couch.

"here." finn kisses lunas forehead gently, handing her over to violet as slow as he could manage.
"i'll go get some blankets from the bedroom. do you need anything?"

she declines, talking quietly to luna as she finally manages to wake up. she inspects the dusts of light hazel within her deep brown eyes, the most calming mixture that violet admired.

"hey, baby?" he calls to her from the bedroom.

"yeah." she tries not to be loud, so close to the three day old newborn.

"i think my mom picked some stuff up for us." he approaches back out, his arms full of the babys things he had planned to pick up at the store.

a smile pulls at violets lips, a smile of relief.
"everyones really kind to us, you know? we have the best family in the world."

he nods in agreement, coming back with blankets as he promised. he sits down next to them, pulling warmth over the three of them as they stay in the quiet.

they dont bother with the tv, or the music. they tune out the bustling street below and the rather loud neighbors the apartment over.

instead the two of them spend the rest of the evening gently talking to luna, hoping for her future and everything great she'll turn out to be.

everything great that they would turn out to be.

by the time ten o'clock rolls around, the two new parents sit, heads falling in sleep. violets legs lay on top of finns lap, her head back against the couch as was his. they were so exhausted, so sleep deprived.

luna lays peacefully in a sectioned off part of the couch. wrapped in warmth with a soft blanket underneath. she slept peacefully, for a while.

but she wouldn't last a night without the fuss she normally gave them. for at around midnight, finns abruptly awoken by the siren cries of his brand new daughter.

he stands rather quickly, trying to catch her before she woke violet up. although as he gets up, violets legs fall to the floor and is caught by the cries that still came from the arms of finn.

"hey, its okay." he whispers to luna, trying to settle her down. he glances to violet, noticing that she was getting up in a groggy mess herself.
"vi, i got it. head to bed, i'll be in once she settles."

"i can make the formula-"

"i got it." he stares to her as she stands in front of him. her voice a mumbling mess and is crushing in sleep.
"get some rest, okay?"

finn couldnt count how many times he almost lost violet since he had met her. and in some way or another, it was moments such as then that reminded him to give her the world. to give her more than the world. to give her the world and;

to give her the moon.

he would do anything for her, for as she hugged his busy arms to say goodnight. he understood that he was holding the two most important people that would ever show up in his lifetime.

so he lets her sleep.

even as he is up for another hour after that to calm down luna. even as he was so tired that he swore if he sat down once, he'd be out without another thought. even as his head pounded from days without sleep and his eyes turned red.

he still, let violet sleep.

as the night continued, luna settled and fell asleep once more. in relief finn carries her silently to the bedroom, setting her in the white crib placed in the corner of his bland bedroom.

there wasn't a particular reason, he wondered why he hadn't felt this way before; but that night, the blandness drove him mad.

he felt that she deserved so much more than that.

that they deserved so much better than that.

silently, he walks out to his living room. collecting the only thing that rang through his head as a solution.

he brings it back in, careful not to wake violet or the sleeping baby he just put to rest.

he finds the preexisting nail in his white wall; gently moves the crib below it and secures anything from falling.

there; two in the morning in the middle of his now partially bland apartment bedroom, there he stood.

centered in a room of a girl he would never let go of. a daughter he would never stop giving everything to. and a black and white painting of lines.

that were never really, just lines.

1390 wc

stay tuned for book three of this series
AND
a brand new finn series !