²⁵

violet cage was missing.

and finn was going insane.

he pushes against the crowd of people running past him, he searches around in a hurry; trying to find the others and only hoping that they were alright.

his heart sinks, glancing around the chaotic airport. from where he stood, the only one that laid injured to the floor was a woman just outside the gate; bleeding from her arm through her flight attendant uniform.

he looks down the airport hallways that were starting to clear out. one final group comes rushing down. at that moment, he only happened to catch a glance of aylas worried face.

his chest breaks in relief, rushing over to them. he couldn't rush into his friends' arms fast enough. he hold onto aylas trembling body tightly. he meets up with the three of them, notice one of them missing.

"w- wheres violet?" he looks to them, meeting the tears streaking down aylas cheeks.

"i'm sorry, finn." she sobs.

"we got split up." malcolms words tremble,
"she was right behind me getting off the plane and then i- i don't know what happened."

finn felt that he wanted to throw up, body trembling like he were to be suffering from frostbite.

commotion of people running towards the exits of the airport surround them as they stay still, all staring to one another.

"we have to find her-"

"finn its not safe for us to stay-"

"then leave." his eyes turn foggy, beginning to leave his friends towards the gate.
"but im not leaving without her."

malcolm follows finn without question, he wouldn't leave without violet either. the others follow, refusing to leave one another; even in this certain situation.

they search around to the people lying on the floor around the waiting area by their gate.

none of them seem to consider the walkway tunnel behind the closed doors at the gate. not until they watch the police rush in with a staff member of the airport.

they gather around the desk just outside of the gate. finn pushes the others to blend into the escaping chaos as they look around to find violet.

he hated to admit what he was doing, but finn looks around to the ground. he searches the people trembling in blood; afraid of her being there.

as none of them find her, he wasn't sure how to feel. he didnt find her hurt; but he didnt find her at all.

still, they all search frantically around; traveling back by the gate again. searching under every ledge, every seat.

finn stops in his tracks as he hears the manager and police talking. the key words leak from their lips with worry across their faces. finn couldn't stop himself, he took in the information and spit it out with adrenaline.

"hostages?" he blurts.

the men turn to look at him, trying to shoo him away.

"everyone needs to head towards the front of the airport, police along the way will escort you out!" the tall man in uniform shouts, catching everyone's attention. everyone seems to comply, everyone but the band.

"no, please." finn begs, approaching them in a hurry. his heart hurt, his breathing shallow in fear.
"whatever he wants you have to give it to him. my girlfriends in there, please."

"sir, you need to leave now. its not safe for you and your friends." the officer nudges behind finn.

he goes to argue back, not managing to get a word out before his body is jolted. the sound of another gun shot rings ever so loud just on the other side of the door, screams follow.

finn looses it, screaming; shout at the police to open the door. he's dragged away, the others being shoved after him towards the front of the airport.

"please no! shes all i have." his voice echos raspy, doing everything he could to get back to her.

he yells at them to stop, tears falling down his cheeks as he manages to push away the officers on him. he doesn't make it very far.

they're pushed out the doors, into the crowded street just outside the airport.

ayla holds onto finn, wrapping her arms around his waist to comfort him. she was scared too; petrified after such an event. after her friend missing.

jack comes over to rest his hand on finns shoulder.
"maybe she wasnt in that tunnel, finn."

"yeah, maybe she made it out here before us." malcolm tries to reason, breath shaky but seeming to be more in control than the rest of them.

finn nods, swallowing harshly as he wipes his wet cheeks.
"yeah, maybe."

"lets look around." ayla pulls away from him,
"split up and, meet back here in five minutes. shes not here if we dont find her by then."

~*~

meanwhile, violet sits against the wall opposite of the others. her head tucks to her knees as she sits so numb, so empty.

earlier, the man was making demands through the door. five hundred thousand dollars or a hostage killed ever hour until he gets what he wants.

violet wasn't hard, she wasn't someone who wasn't afraid of dying. but it wasn't what her mind was on at that moment.

for it had been an hour, and she wasn't chosen first.

in most ways, she wished she was.

she wished she was dead because when it came down to it, watching the black man who had called after her to stay, being shot between the eyes stunned her.

the man with the gun didn't bother to hesitate, didn't hesitate despite the innocent guy standing inches from violet.

she refused to look at his body in front of her, head buried to her knees, feeling the strangers blood drip down her arm. for she was so close; that it practically bursts her ear drums, and left his blood on her clothes as it happened.

the others whimper and shake across the hallway together, and violet thought that perhaps that was what would keep her alive the longest; silence.

"you have ten minutes!" the man shouts through the door, causing all the bodies inside to jump out of the silence.
"give me the fucking money or the girl goes next."

they all look to another, all unsure of who he was inferring to. violet hoped they would comply to him, not having the strength to watch another die before her.

she couldn't explain the feeling, how she felt.

she was just, empty.

violet hears the nonstop negotiation going on between them, but she notices the man not giving in. he was persistent and with that, she knew that there wasn't a chance she was making it out alive.

he stays true to his word, for ten minutes later he pulls a woman up by the elbow. violet doesn't look, her head shoved to her knees, ears covered. but she could still hear the gun shot.

the cries by the others are faded in violets ears; watching her phone across the floor vibrate in circles. finns picture to her screen.

it was the first time she cried in that tunnel; feeling him worry through the phone she couldn't answer.

she sobs silently, hiding her face to hide it away. afraid of making anyone mad.

nothing, but sobbing.

1220 wc

part one