⁴⁰

"and you're sure that you've packed everything? did you get sunscreen? it is the desert finn, and you know how damaging the sun can be-"

"jesus ayla for the last time, yes." he groans, laid across his bedsheets. finn agreed to let her stay the night; for their flight to california was early the next morning.

ayla was persistent that she check over finns suitcase, making sure he packed everything he'd need for the next few days during their photoshoot.

so there they stood in the heart of his bedroom. finn laid with his arm rested over his eyes next to his open suitcase. where ayla stands, shifting his folded clothes to dig through to the bottom.

"hey don't sass me for trying to keep you cancer free!"

"im sorry a's. im just exhausted, its been a long day."

"yeah youre right, my fault." she zips it back up, pulling it to the door next to hers.

ayla approaches his bed, taking her wet hair to one side of her face as she peels the sheets back on his bed.
"youre sure violet wont try to kill me, sleeping in your bed."

"pft" he scoffs, getting his side of the bed ready for him to crash into.
"if james doesnt spear me first."

"you know when youre married, you seem to forget about petty stuff like crashing in a friends bed. the trusts there, for us anyway."

"yeah well, something tells me that its not always like that." he sighs, switching off the lamp on the bedside table. leaving the two to stare up at the ceiling in darkness.

aylas lemon scented skin radiates the room and a knife is stabbed through finns heart, reminding him of how much he missed violet and the way she brought a different smell to his bed sheets.

"do you think youre going to marry vi?" she looks over to him, staring to his profile as his eyes refuse to tear from above.

"yeah."

ayla nods back to the ceiling.
"what are you waiting for, then?"

"to stop being scared."

she laughs,
"scared of growing up?"

finn knew that she understood, for after she said yes to james, she talked of the same thing. of being scared to take on something truly permanent.

"scared of holding her back from doing something incredible." he whispers.

"hey,"
she reaches over to grab his hand in hers. he smiles over to her touch.
"you'd be a great husband, finn."

he chuckles at such a preposterous statement.

"im serious! you have your shit together, you're supportive. you treat violet with so much love. if you wait until you're not scared anymore, you'll waste your life away and she wont want to wait for you forever."

"we have work to focus on for now." he turns to face her, closing his eyes as his body grows more tired by the second.
"but i wont wait forever, i swear."

~*~

violet felt sick to her stomach, dizzy.

most of it knowing that her entire career depended on the photoshoot that night. and, she supposed, the butterflies that fluttered in her stomach over seeing finn after such an extended amount of time.

she was expecting him and ayla to be at nicks by her lunch break, and it was nearing within the next hour. for now she was putting the polishing finishes to the set; centered in the middle of a desert. so hot that she sweat from every inch of her body, and sunburned her cheeks.