¹¹

violet was going to throw up.

she felt it coming, she kept it down.

her stomach dropped in anticipation the entire way down ever so familiar roads. her foot taps to the mats on the floor of finns jeep.

she hardly pays attention to the pace of her jeg jumping, for her eyes refuse to leave from the window.

finn notices in almost an instant, looking over to her with a confused smile.
"vi, its not like you haven't met my parents before."

"i know but its different." she looks to him, foot still tapping.
"its been three years."

"yeah, three years of you maturing into an adult. they'd respect that."

"just because i don't wear scrappy band tshirts anymore doesn't indicate that i've grown up, finn."

"ive told them about your job."

"you did?"

"yes." he stops his jeep in the driveway of his family home.
"and theyre really proud of you. theyre still going to love you like they did three years ago, okay?"
his hand meets her knee, looking to her in reassurance.
"so stop worrying."

"alright." she sighs to her seat.
"lets go then."

nauseously,  violet follows the tall boy up to the front door. déjà vu tickled her stomach, her fresh white shoes standing to the door mat where she once set her key under. she wondered if they had ever figured out that it was there.

she didnt dare to check, for her shaky hands wouldn't allow her to pick anything up anyway.

as the two walk in, violet is hit with a wave. it was beginning to be too much for her head to handle.

not much had changed, the same furniture rearranged within the living room. the coat rack still sitting where it always used to.

it smelled like home.

"mom?" finn calls, walking through the house. wet shoes leaving tracks on the hardwood floor; violet follows after him to the kitchen.

"kitchen!" she calls back, despite knowing that the two kids were on their way to her already.

they're met with his mom and dad leaning to the counter tops, a cookbook open for meal prepping their week. much like violet remembered them doing.

"wow, violet?" his dad smiles, approaching her with a warm hug.

"hi mr.wolfhard, how are you?"

"im well. seems like you must be doing quite well yourself?"

"oh honey, thats rude!" his mom tisks her husband, pulling violet into a warm hug to greet her.

"how is that rude? look at her, she looks great!"

"i am doing well, actually." she smiles to the two of them, god how she missed seeing them everyday.

"finn tells us youre in new york now?"

"yeah, ive got an apartment there, i work for a fashion company."

"manager, right? finn told us all about it." she smiles.

"yes. i had been going to a community college up until this past winter actually, just graduated and they made me manager about a year ago."

"what did you do before then?"

"i was an intern." violet nods to his dad, leaning to the counter.

"we're really happy to hear you're accomplishing so much." his mom smiles, practically being cut off by her husband as the continuous questions spill out.