²

"so this weekend, i was thinking maybe we could go to the gala?"

"the gala?"

"yeah! ive been trying to go for years now but, william just isn't into it. unless, you dont want to. we can find something better to do-"

"no." finn interrupts her, smiling across a table for two.
"gala sounds great."

violet returns the smile, disregarding every commotion that went on around her within the restaurant. she had only been there a couple of times before, for she made a decent living but the apartment rates in new york took out a large cut of it.

it could get expensive, but she wanted to show finn a good time while he was here. her treat.

"so the band," violet starts up.
"obviously you guys are doing great music wise. what else is new?"

"well," he stares off into the elegant lighting strung to the walls.
"malcolm just got engaged."

"he what?" she stares to him in disbelief as he nods.

"yeah, and ayla got married."

"you're kidding?"

he shakes his head,
"nope, about a year ago."

"everyones growing up, huh?" she sits back in her chair, taking a small drink from her wine glass.

"i guess so." he shrugs.
"i know that once one of us has kids, we're over. im just hoping to have a long ride, you know? just one more year at least."

"what about you? any relationships?"

he chuckles softly, wondering if she truthfully knew how bad she had hurt him by leaving. how closed off he had become when it came to girls.
"no, no. nothing like that."

"you mean i'm supposed to believe you went three years without getting laid?"

the both of them laugh as he stares down to his hand resting on the table.
"i didn't say that. its just, im twenty one, you know? i dont want to be tied down like that."

it was a lie. for if it was violet that he was tied down to, he'd do it in a heartbeat.

"fair enough."

"what about you?" finns asks.

"have i gotten laid in the past three years?"

he continues to laugh lightly, shaking his head. god how he had missed her.
"i mean relationships. any before william?"

"no." she hesitates,
"i mean maybe a date or two but, nothing to call anything up until about six months or so ago."

"six months? and hes already moved in?"

"it just seemed right." she nods.

"i guess when you know, you know. right?" his heart sinks until her next remark sends his eyes to flicker up at her.

"i don't know."

truthfully, violet thought she had it all figured out. she thought that she was happy with william; that is, until finn showed up in her life again. there was a transparent vibration radiating between them. they could both feel it.

"but, you're happy aren't you?"

"yeah." she nods, refusing to make eye contact.
"most of the time."

his eyes sink softly.
"vi, why do you pick assholes to love?"

she laughs gently.
"williams not an asshole, hes sweet actually."

"then whats the issue?"

"he just likes to go out a lot and, i don't know. i like to stay in when i'm off from work."

"look; i wont bullshit you, violet." finn stares down to his hand circling the bottom rim of his glass.
"i treated you horribly. you cant let someone else walk into your life and treat you like that again."

"finn," she reaches across the table, resting her hand to the top of his. electricity shocks his heart.
"everything's okay, i promise."

"okay, vi." he whispers, staring ever so deeply to her eyes.

the two finish up their dinner, even though it being violets idea; finn takes the check. insisting as it resulted in a silly ketchup fight.

as the two walk back to violets apartment building, finn holds onto her hand. messing around as he causes the girls' laugh to erupt through the alley way.

they chase each other up the steps of her building. laughing and shouting like they were children again. they cherished each others company more than anything.

violet opens her apartment door to an empty room. still the same way they had left everything. violet frowns quietly to herself as she looks at the time on the stove. it was nearing eleven at night, and still her boyfriend wasn't home.

finn notices, growing silent in an unsteady feeling.

she wanted william to leave a good impression on finn. in that way she could prove him wrong. however, william wasn't making that easy on violet.

violets heals slip off at her door, her bare feet sticking to her hardwood floors. she approaches the bar stools at the kitchen counter; picking up finns black backpack that he had left there.

she looks to him, moving to the stairs.
"i'll show you to your room."

"trying to get rid of me already, huh?" he smiles to her, chasing after her up the stairs.

she laughs, pulling herself up the stairs before he could reach her. she stops just at the top of the stairway, turning left to a room that was well decorated; but rarely used.

she sets his things down to the bed, turning around to smile at him gently.
"make yourself at home. only for this week though and then you're gone." she teases him.

he takes her finger that was pointed to him within his hand. pulling her closer to his smiling face, staring down to her.
"surely, you cant be serious."

"oh, i'm as serious as it gets wolfhard. sleep well."

she turns to move around him, surprised as finn grabs her by the waist. pulling her body back to be placed in from of him once more. his fingers brush back and forth lightly to her hips.
"going to sleep so soon?"

"i, i guess not." she stutters, flustered at his smirking lips. the tension between the two felt unbearable.

"don't." he whispers, eyes to her lips.

"do you want to do makeovers and watch reality tv?"

he laughs,
"you know i do."

"how about, you meet me in my room in five minutes and we'll; watch that movie we watched last christmas we were together."

"sounds great."

violet smiles, walking her way out of the door.

she shuts it behind her, letting out a large sigh out into the hallway.

the love of her life hadn't been there for the past six months.

he had just walked through her door earlier that night.

it was always him.

always, finn.

1100 wc