⁵⁷

alice was the first to get the call.

she hums into the phone at first, checking her february calendar for the weekly upcoming events. the monday morning had just started and things were slow until that moment.

she practically drops the phone, tapping in her heals to the studio doors where she doesnt bother knocking.

the three band members, and their manager turn their attention from finn who stood behind the plexiglass box, recording his guitar solo for their last song.

"im sorry for interrupting i- violet called."

ayla gasps at alice,
"youre serious!"

alice nods urgently,
"mr.wolfhards parents picked her up, he wasnt answering his phone."

jack jumps from his chair in a shout, banging on the glass with his fist as their manager stops the recording track.

finn stops, eyebrows furrowed in a confused smile as he speaks into his mic and readjusts his headphones.
"why'd we stop?"

he watches as ayla jumps around in an excited smile towards finn.

"what is it?" he laughs.

the tall blonde manages to find the red button on the box to speak back to him, her voice echoing in the sound proof room over a speaker.
"youre babys coming!"

"wha- oh my god." he rips the headphones from his head, quickly rushing out of the room to the others who surround him in excitement.
"are you sure?"

"violet just called, she was admitted an hour ago." alice nods.

ayla hands him his keys, hardly giving him enough time to thank her as she rushes him out the door.
"we'll meet you there!"

finn couldnt get into his car fast enough, his hands eagerly reaching for his phone through traffic to check in on violet. he only reaches his parents, who present him with the code to get into the hospital wing and minimal information for the time being.

when he finally reaches her room, he stands in the doorway practically out of breath from his journey in.

"its about time." she laughs from the hospital bed, a gown on, a white bracelet around her wrist.
"id been calling you for hours."

he sighs in partial relief that he hadnt missed anything, sitting down next to her with his hands pushing her hair from her face.
"how are you feeling?"

"contractions come and go. they say i've dilated too early for her to come on the sixteenth. could be a few hours, could be a few days." it was a week early, finn hadn't expected it to come for at least a few days.

"youre feeling okay now?"

"yeah im okay now." she gives of a gentle smile.

"im so sorry i wasnt here earlier, we were recording and i didnt have my phone-"

"youre here now." she reassures, nudging him towards his parents who sat on a small couch near the bed.

he stands to meet his parents, hardly acknowledging them in his panic on the way in.
"thank you for picking her up."

they hug their son, erics hand strongly placed to finns shoulder. a gentle smile is shared between them, for his dad didnt have to say much of anything to show him that he was proud of his son for the person he was growing up to become.

"listen, we're going to run to your apartment; grab you two a change of clothes. her contractions are so strong, i wouldnt put it any longer than a few hours."

finn nods at his mom, swallowing the lump down his throat. it was an unexplainable feeling with an unexplainable reason, but he was nervous.

he was so nervous.

violet waits for their parents to leave before she speaks up,
"you can go back to work finn, i just wanted to call and let you know that im here."

he turns around to stare at her, eyebrows furrowed as he approaches the bed.
"im not leaving you."

"it probably wont be another day or so."

"and i'm going to be here, they can finish the song on their own."

"you know they cant do that." violet laughs,
"as long as youre here when shes coming, im okay."

"they're going to have to figure it out." he nudges violet over to sit next to her, legs draped over hers.
"this is it, isnt it?"

"didnt feel real until now, you know?"

"god, yeah." he sighs, head rested back to the white plastic frame.

the quiet room is interrupted by the chaos of the band, barging their way into the room in excitement.

"violet! did you pop it out yet or what?" jack exclaims, coming to the other side of the bed to sit on her.

"no jack, get off." she groans, her stomach sore and in the way.

"im sorry, im sorry! i just cant wait!" he kisses her head, messing her neat hair into chaos.

"vi! youre going to have a baby! a kid, a real one!"

violet chuckles at ayla,
"is that how that works?"

"are you nervous?" malcolm questions her, sitting at her feet.

"are you kidding? ive thrown up three times today already." she smiles,
"wish i was always as calm as this one."

violet pokes finns side, he stops her with the hold of his hand; mumbling to himself.
"you have no idea."

"we're so excited for you guys-"

"im not leaving this hospital until a little baby is walking around here." jack cuts ayla off.

violets head shakes as finns eyes roll towards their friend.
"you might be here for a bit, they arent really sure when shes coming."

and as if scripted another contraction came, and this one was a wave of the worst. it was enough to turn finns hand purple, and to shoo out the rest of the members by an incoming nurse that panicked too far.

and again they came and went as the hours past. the band remained out in the waiting room, as instructed, all hours as the sun began to set.

as the commotion settled down, finns parents came back with the promised packed bags for the both of them.

"all of your friends made it?" mary smiles, situating violets things for her to the chair next to her.

"you saw them on your way in?" finn questions them.

"didnt say hi, just hassled us about telling them the name of your baby." eric laughs, taking a seat to the couch.

"which by the way, your own mother had to tell them that i didnt know." marys hands meet her hips in dramatization, eyes widened towards the couple still sat on the bed.

"we'll tell you."

"we will?" finn looks to violet shocked, knowing she was so strict about not announcing it until the time came.

violet shrugs,
"she'll be here soon anyway."

his parents stand in anticipation, staring at the two of them. violets voice is drowned in the silence of the room, it felt so relieving; opening it past the nights her and finn had stayed up talking about the name. from then on, it was no longer between the two of them.

"its luna"

"luna." mary smiles sweetly, excitement filling up her chest.

finn nods silently, his hand peacefully rested under the hand of the only person hes officially ever loved.
"like the moon."

1190 wc

-so cheesy, im retiring