³⁴

there he sat; finn.

his elbows hugging his knees, head rested back to the white painted wall of his bathroom. the cold resonated from the tile, leaving his body shivered in chills down his bare arms. he didn't pay much attention to it, staring off into essentially nothing.

the vibration of his phone jerks his body out of a trace, his eyes trailing over to his screen that rest to the tile feet away from him. finn practically jumps from his spot, grabbing his phone the moment her picture was displayed. he had been moping around for days like a lost kid, waiting for her call.

after violet had landed nearly five days ago, she texted him to let him know she was safe. and despite the occasional text goodnight, this was the first time she had bothered to contact him.

"hey vi!"

violet settles to her light comforter, celery juice to her hand to start off the early morning. she talks into the phone that rested between her shoulder as she situates.
"hey finn."

"how are you holding up? hows california?"

"its so great! the people down here practically walk down the street naked. and i started the seminars a couple days ago, they're already talking of putting my designs on billboards, magazines!"

finn smiles a sorrow filled smile. his body felt so drained, so sad. but to have her bright voice explain how well she was doing, left him with no choice but to be happy for her.

"thats so great, vi. im so proud of you."

"hows the band doing? you go off to tour soon, right?"

"they pushed all of our shows back a month."

"what? why?" violet sits up, steadying her juice from spilling.

"the manager had conflicts reserving all of the venues, management stuff. anyway, its likely a short tour; we dont do a global until our next albums out."

"youre still doing a u.s tour right?"

"yes ma'am. san francisco's the second stop, you know."

"finn." she sighs through the phone.
"its an eight hour drive to san diego."

he sits silent on his end of the line, eyes stinging dry to the same spot on the wall. he keeps the phone pressed to his ear, hardly getting out the words.
"you dont want me to come see you?"

"no its just- well i don't want you to drive all the way down after a show and; i've been busy with work. i don't want you to waste the time coming out if i'm working."

"well, then i'll waste my time visiting nick. how is he doing? you met maxine?"

"yeah shes really sweet, set me up with a room and dinner every night. nick is fine, i dont see him much, im out most of the day and i only come home and sleep."

"do you have off today?"

"no i have to go in soon, actually finn i have to go. i should start getting around."

"yeah of course, we'll talk soon okay? whenever you get the time."

"sure, finn."

"i miss you a lot, but i'll be there to see you next month. i promise."

a lump sticks to her throat, shifting around as if she were almost uncomfortable. she missed him, but she didnt want to come back home any time soon. for it had been no more than five days and things were already starting to go her way. california was a new beginning, new opportunities, new people. she never wanted the new of everything to disintegrate; even if that meant to not bring in anything from her past. something like finn, at least not yet.
"i love you, have a good day at work."

"i love you so much violet. talk to you soon."

the conflict between the two was fire. finn was holding onto something that violet was letting go of. she didnt want to leave him, she believed she'd never stop loving him. but violet just needed some time in her new life before things go back to normalcy. california, living with nick who she considered to be a sibling she never got to have, it was all so perfect in her eyes.

meanwhile, finn continues to sit in the shadows of their apartment. her scent tangling the halls without her present was hell enough. but it didnt get real until he lay down to the vacant bed that was surrounded in the chamomile lavender soap she typically used; and have to conquer the night alone.

that night violet doesn't return until almost three a.m.

although that was her typical time, for she enjoyed going out with her new friends after work. expecting her to be late, there nick sat in the kitchen.

she approaches him in there, the cabinet lights being the only dim thing to illuminate their faces.
"hey nick."

"have fun at the club?"

"yeah it was okay." she takes the class of water nick handed out to her, thanking him.

"you talked to finn today?"

her eyebrows furrow.
"yeah. how do you know?"

"he called me too, to check in."

violet stares to a spot on the ground, trying to put her buzzed headache at peace.

"don't worry, i didn't tell him you were at the club."

"i wasn't worried." her eyes never leave the tile.

"he said you seemed off."

"off how?"

"uninterested."

"hes just paranoid." she smiles up to him.

"he said that he was expecting you to ask him to model for your line, that you've been begging him for months. but you never did."

she sighs, eyes closed in guilt.
"i forgot, ive just been so busy. and he seemed so uninterested every time i brought it up."

he shrugs,
"dont know, kid."
nick pulls her into a tight hug, smelling the alcohol on her.
"im heading off to bed. rest well, a hang over on an early morning is no good-"

nick stops himself, mid sentence as he begins to leave,
"i dont have to tell you that, surely you know by now."

"hey nick?"violet stops him.

"yeah?"

"did finn mention coming to visit after his tour?"

"next month." he nods.
"i figured it was a roommate you wouldn't mind rooming with."

violet stands against the counter, watching as nick disappears down the hallway, out of sight.

she sighs, gripping her glass to her hand tightly.

finn was coming, and he was bringing hell with him.

1065 wc

-excuse my delayed updating, i have
college exams this week and im LOSING
MY FRICKEN MIND