⁴⁹

the loud restaurant only fueld the hungry butterflies swarming violets stomach. she holds her sweaty hands in her lap, body tense as she stares in front of her to the table.

finn was nervous, but he had a purpose not to show it; for his parents would suspect something as violet was rarely quiet around his family.

"violet, how has your job been going? how was california?"

her shy eyes look up to meet eric.
"california was alright, but im glad to be back home. i haven't been to work since i've gotten back, i plan to head in tomorrow to get a head start on all the paperwork."

"you came home early, didnt you? i thought you weren't expected back until september."

she nods, heart racing.
"yeah i came back a few months early. i finished one of the shoots, and decided to head back to finish up here."

"arent they sending you back? you said you'd have at least two shoots."

"shes not going back." finn tried to intervene in order to get the pressure off of violet. it hit him quickly, but unsteadiness crushes finn in a fit of eagerness. he was suddenly so nervous.
"not for the next nine months, anyway."

marys confused glance scans the two across from her. it didnt even cross her mind what they were trying to get at.
"how come?"

violet was waiting for finns abruptness that he had shown earlier with telling nick, she wanted it to come out, but she didnt want to be the one to do it.

finn sighs heavily, glancing from his girlfriend to his parents. he wondered how he should come about it, how he would manage to get out for he knew he couldnt rely on violet for it. he was supposed to be the one under control, so he faked it. pretending to not have a hint of fear in his body for violet to settle.
"we're having a baby."

"youre what?" erics expression remains taken back, staring at his son through the dim yellow lighting.

"no!" mary exclaims, practically jumping from her seat.

finn smiles, a gentle nod.
"violets pregnant."

"oh my god!" mary stands, rushing around the table. surely she was causing a scene, she didnt seem to care.

she holds violet into a hug so tightly, her body shaking in excitement.
"i cant believe you're giving me a grand baby!"

violet laughs a laugh of relief as she sees the tears from mary once she pulled away. she loved them so much, they meant everything to her, she was only scared of making them upset.

mary leaves to hug her son, proud and happy for hes given her what shes wanted for years now. violet receives a gentle hug from eric, for he was calm, but happy.

"how far along are you?" mary takes back her seat.

"they think almost six weeks." violet wipes her sweaty hands to her summer dress; the early july heat curling her hair that framed her face.
"but i only found out a couple weeks ago."

"we didnt want to tell you guys until after the appointment, just in case." finn explains.

"i thought for sure nick would be the first." eric lets out a gentle laugh,
"this one always preached about never having kids."

"sure did." mary agrees,
"im so shocked this is all happening."

"us too." finn reaches for violets purse to pull out the hazy picture. he hands it over to his parents as they both share looks to it.
"they dont typically do ultrasounds until eight weeks, but with vi gone they weren't really sure how far along she was."