¹⁹

"okay finn, we're going to run that one more time, alright?"

the tall boy gives a thumbs up through the glass; headphones set to his head.

violet, the rest of the band, as well as their producer all place themselves in the black fabricated room. watching into the room on the other side of a plexiglass window. finn sitting to a stool with his electric guitar on his lap.

"that riff is insane, how did he come up with that?" ayla speaks to the room, tapping her finger to her crossed arms, in rhythm.

"he was up all night working on it." violet lets him take the credit. it was of no use for her to take it.

"ive never seen someone shred on a guitar like that kid does." jack shakes his head, faintly hearing the backing of what finn was playing.

"hey man, not cool." ayla nudges him in a smile.

they stand to watch for a while, content with how the final run went about. finn removes his headphones, opening the wooden door to meet with the others.

"i think this ones going to top our previous ones." he approaches them, absentmindedly resting his arm around violets waist. she settles into his hold.

"feeling vacancy topped the charts for three months straight." mlacolm points out, brushing his curly hair from his forehead.

"yeah, who knew all finn needed was to get his heart broken." jack adds with a laugh.

in fact they all chuckle a bit at the thought. except violet, for she was still bitter over what she had done to him.

"well, we can blame this next one on violet too, she practically wrote it." finn nudges her, expecting a smile. she doesn't give off one.

"wait this new one? violet you wrote that?"

"no." she mumbles to ayla.
"like two lines."

"two lines that changed the entire song." finn tries to cheer her up, for he sensed that something was off with her.

"i'd say lets hire her in again but, we don't even control our own amps anymore."

violet glances up at ayla, back to the ground.
finn squeezes her gently, a silent action of asking if she was okay as the others start up another conversation.

she forces a small smile, leaning into him comfortably.

violet was upset, none the less. for whatever reason, she felt an overwhelming amount of guilt spread her skin. to think through all the pain that he had gone through while she was gone.

finn didn't think about it much anymore, for he was someone that felt strongly for living in the moment and not fretting over what used to be.

"well, are you guys ready to call it a night? i gotta get vi home, shes got work tomorrow."

they agree, beginning to walk each other to their cars.

"how did the transfer go?" jack looks to violet.

"smoothly, so pretty well i guess." she watches her feet as she walks.

"id love to see what you do, sometime." ayla nudges her from beside.

"yeah me too." malcolm adds, stopping at his car.
"you should take us all there some time."

"yeah, we can do that." she smiles to them, standing to the passenger side door of finns jeep.

"goodnight guys." finn waves them off, getting into the cold car, he switches on the heat almost immediately as he notices violets trembling teeth. for it was the beginning of fall, which has the potential to be brutal within vancouver nights.