⁵⁶

"vi, im home!"

"okay."

finn hears her voice ricochet off the apartment walls, the tv hosting a game show in the background. he hardly sets his things down to the floor before he approaches the living room. he wanted to apologize, he wanted to call himself an idiot and settle to her hold on the couch. he looked forward to the gentle kiss she would place to the top of his head, and the way that room smelled within the warmth of the heater and the chamomile of her skin.

all was set aside when his eyes flicker to the two girls sprawled across the couch. stale popcorn sat between them and a smile of laughter to their faces from the show.
"alice?"

"whats up mr. wolfhard" she nods casually, turning her brown eyes towards him as violets do.

"alice and i decided to have a night in. she wanted to hang out and i figure that you'd be late with the album."

he nods, staring down to his phone for a glimpse of the time. she was right, it was late.
"alright, well then i'll head to bed. leave you guys to it."

"i'll be in to say goodnight in a bit."

"okay vi." his whispers leave the room with him, softly stepping across the shiny floors in his dirty sneakers.

"i feel so weird." alice chuckles as the two girls are left alone.

"why?" violet looks to her new friend over from her side of the long couch.

"sleeping in my boss's house."

"its not as great as they make it out to be, is it?"

"i have to say, i thought it'd be, bigger?"

"hes not into material items i guess. i thought the same when i first saw this place."

"have you two been together long?" alice holds onto a throw pillow, getting comfortable into being curious about the couples past.

"we met when he as seventeen."

"i couldn't even imagine what he was like as a kid." she laughs.

"not much different." violet lies, only willing to open up so much to the stranger.
"but we just recently reconnected a little over a year ago."

"how long where you apart?"

"three years."

"god, it must have killed him. those three years."

"what do you mean?" violets eyes screw in confusion.

"with the way he talks about you? the way he looks at you? you only look at someone like that if they're the person that's on your mind every second of your life."

violets heart sinks at the thought,
"three years killed me too."

"and now you have a baby on the way. so exciting!"

"im so scared." violet admits,
"i dont want to do it."

"its only like what, a day? then its over."

"and then eighteen years after that." violet laughs.
"im excited, just not ready. shes going to be a troublemaker if shes anything like her dad."

"but oh my gosh, curly hair! green eyes! cant wait to hold your baby."

the remark causes violet to laugh,
"id love if you could come to the hospital. im sure i could convince finn to let you take off."

alice squeals nonchalantly, a big smile to her lips.
"violet i would take the day off for it anyway. i wont miss it."

violet exchanges the gentle moment with her new friend. excusing herself to get her stuff around for bed in the livingroom and saying goodnight to the previously talked about.

her footsteps approach the quiet bedroom, which remains dark besides the hallway light spilling in. finns body lays turned towards the door, eyes closed peacefully as his head rests above his arm. gently, his eyelashes flutter open in peace, seeing violets silhouette tiptoe around the room. eventually, violet sits down on his side of the bed, finger brushing through his soft hair as his sleepy eyes glance up to her sweetly.

"will you be okay alone in here tonight?"

"its been a while." he mumbles, kissing her hand as it rests in his.
"but i want you to have a good time."

"thank you." she whispers, a smile tugging to her shiny lips.

"im sorry for snapping at you earlier today, vi. i feel so bad, i dont want you to think that i dont want you around. i just-"

"you were stressed." she kisses his lips gently.
"dont feel bad, im not upset. goodnight, finn"

"i love you so much."

"i love you." she leaves gently.

violet approaches the living room in the smile of alice who had overheard the last minute calls as violet made her way out.
"he always tells you that he loves you?"

"yes?" she answers, settling back into the couch next to her.

"god i would kill for that."

"you dont have a boyfriend?"

"no" she chuckles,
"my mom blames it on me being so young. twenty one is some big age to party, but im not a partier, you know? im ready to settle down already, get a real job, a family."

"you've still got time, alice. i mean your mom is right, most people dont have their lives figured out at your age. i sure didnt."

"you were a runway manger in new york, at my age." she smiles in a tease towards violet. she had heard a bit about who violet used to be through the small talk of the band at work.

"and looking back, thats not at all what ive always wanted. what i have now, this is what ive always wanted." violet glances around her apartment, hand rested under her stomach framed in a rather large band tshirt.
"but i didnt know that a year ago."

alice inspects violets advice. the way she so gently held confidence as she sat, wrapped up on her soft living room couch. her hair down across her shoulders in a silky mess, face fresh and soft within her pregnancy.
"how do i know when im where i want to be?"

violet thinks for a moment, biting her cheek in unsureness of how she were to answer such a searched for question. finally, she nudges to the opposite wall of the living room.
"do you see that painting?"

the wide eyed friend stares across the room in a nod,
"yes."

"i found that painting at an art museum back in new york, it was all i talked about for years. i'd talk about it to my boyfriend practically every day, he would listen, but dismiss it. i never thought anything of it, i thought i was happy with him. finn came into my life for one week. he heard me talk about it once, and he brought it home one day for me to have to look at forever."

"he bought it for you, cause it meant a lot to you." she grins, understanding.

"its not that he bought it for me, it was that he remembered. my point is, you know where you want to be when you feel cared for. for me it wasnt new york with my dream job, it was here with my best friends. people who cared for me, who remembered who i am and everything ive ever been passionate about."

alice sighs, staring down to herself in attempts to try and take in the advice she was sharing.

"you will feel it, alice. you'll know."

1230 wc

- back from band camp, ready to update and finish this book woo