²⁸

"you're up?"

violet approaches the kitchen, hair in a knotted mess. eyes dark, cheeks sunken in. she hadn't ever felt that bad. it had been almost four weeks now.

"i thought i should clean the sheets, take a shower."

"well, is there anything i can get you? food maybe?"

violets eyes meet his as he approaches her against the kitchen counters.
"im not hungry."

he sighs, hugging her tightly around her waist. his hands feel her bones beneath the surface of her skin. he had never seen her so thin.
"when was the last time you ate?" he whispers.

violet shrugs,
"i still just don't have much of an appetite." she pulls away from him.

he grabs her arm, pulling her back. finn inspects her red cheeks, her irritated eyes. gently, he places his fingers to her sweaty forehead.
"are you sick?"

"its just a little fever" she pulls away.

"jesus, vi. why didn't you tell me?"

"i didn't want you to worry." she mumbles.

"i've been doing nothing but worrying about you."

she huffs, pulling a water bottle from the fridge. her dry throat finally resolved from what felt like days without water.

finn was beginning to get frustrated. he wanted to get it through her head that she wasnt the only thing that mattered in her life anymore. now, she had his feelings put on the line as she wasted herself away.

it wasn't fair to herself.

and it wasn't fair to him.

violet pushes herself up to the counter, staring down at the socks that had been on her feet for days. she was really crumbling away, for she used to hate even the thought of wearing the same clothes twice.

"violet, i need to tell you something."

she hears finns whisper from across the kitchen. her eyes flicker up to him as he approaches her gently.

his hands sit to the counter on each side of her. scared to make contact with her soft skin, afraid that it might crumble away to nothing.

"i lied to you." he hesitates,
"and to the band."

her eyebrows furrow, refusing to leave his eyes. dark like the depths of her emotions.
"what are you talking about, finn?"

"i want to get married some day, have kids."

"okay?"

"but i don't want that if its not with you. what im trying to say is, i need you here violet."
his hands travel to her hips, pulling her close to him.
"i need you healthy, and happy. so if you wont do it for yourself, do it for me. because i don't want to get on my knee for anybody but you."

a small smile couldn't help but creep to her lips. it had been so long since she felt that prick of happiness.

"i'm sorry." her warm forehead rests to his shoulder in a sigh.
"i didn't mean to shut you out."

"i get why you did." his fingers trace her back.
"but god, i miss you."

she stays quiet, body limp in his hold. her energy was gone, her feelings evaporated. but finally, she had something to hold onto. something to snap her out of it.

"whatever you're going through, i want to help. whatever you need, say it. but please don't close me out again."

"I didn't know you were serious, about us."