³²

problems were solved for a while.

and then, there came maddie. and nick.

and some how, the two; who in violets book were on the opposite ends on her spectrum, both brought the same feeling.

that same feeling of strangling her until she gave up, until she let them win.

but the day didn't start out that way. quite opposite, in fact.

the chilled day brought rain and ground worms. and despite the lack of sun, it was a good day. things were going well for violet.

she lived with the love of her life, she was on her way to a soild job. and she was happy. they were happy.

that morning, violet didn't have work. however the typical early mornings causes her to awaken on her own. finn was still sound asleep, a seasonal cold wearing down his energy.

violet gets up to return the favor he did for her practically every morning. she creeps out of the room and into the kitchen.

she opens the blinds of the living room to let the dim morning light leak onto the countertops. she starts the coffee pot, knowing he wasn't a fan of the cinnamon tea he made for her.

soon, she fills a ceramic blue mug to the halfway mark with the warmth of the black coffee. she takes out a small spoon of sugar, mixing it in as the clink vibrates through the silence of the kitchen.

she tries not to let the absence of noise make her skin crawl. taking the mug in her cold hands and heading back into the bedroom.

she takes the box of tissues from the dresser over to his side of the bed. setting the mug down next to the box on the nightstand. she sits on his side, her hand gently brushing through his thick curly hair.

eventually, his dark eyelashes flutter open; meeting violets glance as the rising sun sets orange to her heavenly face.

"hey baby." finn smiles gently, his nose stuffy.

"morning." she kisses his cheek, pulling the cup from the table.
"i brought you coffee."

he sits up, taking the cup from her.

violets attention focuses on the hem of her pajama pants as she talks.
"and i talked to nick, he said that the family's going out to eat for his last night here. but that he can let your mom know you cant make it if you're not feeling better by then."

her eyes follow to his silence. catching him staring at her, a smile planted to his soft lips.

"what?" violet questions.

"you're so beautiful."
finn sits up to her; hand to her neck as he kisses her forehead.
"and, you don't have to take care of me violet."

"you take care of me." she takes his free hand, the other preoccupied with coffee.

he sits back, admiring the golden light shining to her face. her features seeming to hit a different place to him. how lucky he was to have somebody as perfect as her.

finns coughing hurts his ribs, his body ever so tired from the toll the week long cold had given.
"so, dinner tonight?"

"we don't have to go finn, if you're not feeling good-"

"its the last time i'm going to see my brother for a while."

"nick practically calls every night. i'm sure we can meet up some other time."

his head shakes,
"you need to talk to him about california tonight, before he leaves."

violet sighs,
"i guess you're right."