Playlist | James

121. The basic prompt for this one was suggested by @Gabile18 so thanks ;)

Reminder: this is fictional so your character will not match you exactly, the MC's (your) music taste is almost everything modern except country (there's no examples of what would be modern music in Voltron so I can't put in any of that stuff oof)

In case anyone complains: yeah, I like all of this music, but it's also my book so this all comes from my brain so,,

Do you guys know about the legend of Korra? Your character knows it so :p

One more note: There isn't that much music mentioned by name because I want you to insert whatever you would listen to. The named tracks are there to give you a feel for the style of each playlist/genre.

"Y/n, are you sure you want to do this?" Shiro kneels down in front of you so he can look you in the eye.

You nod, "Positive. I'm going to be the youngest person to go on a space expedition. Not backing down from that. I already rubbed it in James's face, so I have to stick to it." You aren't one to back down from a challenge. Going to space? That is a challenge.

"Look, I know you're really excited," he continues, worry filling his eyes, "But the chances of the mission succeeding aren't a hundred percent. Something could go wrong. Are you sure you want to take that risk?"

The small cloud of fear swirls around in your gut. You take a deep breath and ignore it. "I'm going to die at some point. There's no point in living if I don't do something with my life."

He smiles fondly and ruffles your hair. "You're pretty wise for your age."

"I've been told that before," you laugh. It's usually considered a compliment, being wise and mature, but sometimes there's nothing worse than being left alone with your thoughts.

"You're sure you'll be okay?" Shiro asks, worried again. "We won't be able to contact anyone else, except for the purpose of sharing data, which will take long periods of time to share. It'll just be you, me, and the two Holts."

"I told you," you repeat yourself, "I'm positive."

"You're a strong kid, Y/n, I'll give you that." He stands back up, "Enjoy your time with your friends. You deserve to have some time to be a kid."

You fly along the side of cliff, speeding up as the edge gets closer. You yell at the top of your lungs, "Are you ready?!"

All you can hear is Keith laughing behind you.

"LET'S GOOO!" You switch gears and launch yourself off the cliff.

The drop comes up and you cheer on the way down.

Your descent is smooth and you continue on the way back to the Garrison.

Shiro introduced you to Keith a while ago. He was the top of the class in flight and you were at the top in smarts, much to James's dismay. Shiro thought you could help Keith with his social shortcomings, although you didn't have many friends yourself.

Shiro's "plan" or whatever was based off of the fact that James respected you and you were "frenemies" to a certain extent. The elder isn't allowed to interfere with classroom-related issues, but he did not want to encourage James and his bullying.

Your friendship with Keith evolved into a mischievous relationship of scheming and plotting away from the other students, but Shiro was happy with it anyway.

"So you're really leaving?" The kids from the class you were originally in - and others - surround you.