Figuring It All Out

"Come on, Matt

"Come on, Matt. I need a job!" I beg. He chuckles.

"Are you sure you can handle it? When we had a lemonade stand together when we were 7 you complained that it was too much work and went inside to eat ice cream"

I laughed at the memory.

"Matt! Please. I'm better, I was 7, come on. Please I need money. It was either this or sell my body. You pick." I tease.

"Fine but you start tomorrow at 6am sharp. Don't be late." He says sternly. I jump in excitement and nod kissing his cheek.

"Thanks, Matty. Really." He bites his lips and nods.

"I'll see you tomorrow than" I say slowly before walking out.

He sighs and nods scratching the back of his neck.

I walk past Tyler and he bumps into me.

"Kiera-"

"Leave me alone! I want you to stay away!" I hiss. Tyler looks taken back, as if he was shocked that I was made that he and his stinky friends hurt Caroline.

The one person to help him through it all.

I didn't stop thinking about the Tyler situation until I saw myself standing in front of the Gilbert home. Ever since I was little, this was the one place that made me feel good.

Feel safe.

As I walked in, the hairs on my arms rose. The same nauseas and dizzy feeling I had over the past week returned, causing me to stumble.

When I did, I felt someone grip my waist.

"Elijah. What a lovely surprise." I say sarcastically. He chuckles and lifts me on my feet, leading me to the living room.

"Is this some weird intervention? If so I don't need it and I don't want it. But if it's not you have 2 minutes to interest me or I'm gone." I say with a bored tone and sat on the arm chair.

He smiled.

"You and someone I know are alike. He's not very patient." He sat down in front of me.

"Kiera, darling. Do you know what you are?" He asked.

"Very annoyed. Please hurry." I say.

"Have you ever experienced odd qualities you didn't knew you could do till about now? Maybe, experiencing others pain? Mimicking voices on point?" He asked. I stopped playing with my fingernails and sat up straighter.

"Maybe."

"Have you noticed that dogs no longer like you?" He asked again. I chuckled.

He handed me an old ancient book.

"Read that passage out loud, please." He said.

I looked down cautiously.

"Like certain supernatural phenomena, certain animals such as dogs can sense Shapeshifters regardless of the form they take. The sight of one turned one dog from harmless to vicious, while the Alpha Shapeshifter's presence caused multiple dogs to howl."

I laughed rather loudly.

"This is ridicules. I'm not a freaking shapeshifter. If I was a shapeshifter don't you think I would've known?" I ask. He sighs in frustration.

"Keep reading." He instructed.

"When exactly they learn is not consistent, some can learn from infancy, while others do not learn until much later in their lives. Due to starting off as humans, shapeshifters can have human urges and vices, such as greed, lust, etc. They are also arguably the most human monsters there are. Due to having human impulses and desires, shapeshifters are not driven by an instinct like vampires and werewolves and commit their acts by choice."

I shoved the book back to him and began pacing and breathing heavily.

"This is a mistake. I'm not a shapeshifter. This is-"

"Mimic my voice." He said suddenly.

"What? What the hell? No." I said. He vamp sped over to me and grabbed my arms.

"Do. It."

"Hello. I'm Elijah and I think I'm all big and bad because I'm an Original." I mimicked. He smirked.

He held up a phone and played back what I just said.

"Hello. I'm Elijah and I think I'm all big and bad because I'm a original."

Except it didn't sound like me. It sounded like him.

"So what? I have a gift for mimicking ones speech patterns." I said.

"You need to calm down, drop the sarcasm and focus. This is real and it's very serious." He instructed.

I nodded before sitting again.

"Why haven't I been able to change form before?" I asked.

"That necklace." He said pointing to the one given to me. I shook my head.

"No way. I've had this ever since-"

"You were 16? Yes, that's usually the age in which most shapeshifters have started to turn.

I gulped and sunk in the seat lower.

"That necklace has a charm that prevents that side coming to you."

"Well how do you trigger it?" I ask.

"You have to see a loved one die. Whether it's a boyfriend, friend, family member or just anyone you're close to."

I sigh.