{7} ✔️

Dahlia's POV
************

"So, there's already a writing competition happening at the library and you can sign up to enter on this sheet—" Cadence held up the clipboard and then put it on the desk behind us. "On your way out. First place winner gets $100, second place winner gets $50, third place winner gets $25. You can sign up to enter through September twelfth which is obviously just eleven days away. You'll have until October first to write a children's Halloween story, and if you get first, second or third place your story will be read to the kids at the library's Halloween bash on Halloween night. If you win first place, you'll also win a free CW club hoodie and keychain."

The entire time Cadence was speaking, I was leaning against Mrs. Marley's desk with my arms crossed, staring at Billie as she smirked at me, occasionally poking her tongue out to wet her lip as she looked me up and down, one of her arms resting on the desk and her other arm resting on her lap, her fingers occasionally curling and gripping the crotch of her baggy black cargo pants as she slid back and forth in her seat.

"Ugh—um—and we decided who'd be in charge of writing the newsletters for each grade." I looked away from her and turned to pick up the sheets on the desk so I could start handing them out. "Cadence Knight, Lizzie Messins, Khloe Wright and Jessica Varner are in charge of the junior letter," I called out twelve more names as I handed out the sheets, coming to a halt as I got to Billie. She grabbed my wrist as I went to hand her her sheet and I was bent awkwardly, staring at her. "Thank you, baby." She whispered.

I gulped before heading back to the front of the room. "So, if there are no more questions, the meeting is adjourned."

I watched as everyone stood up and started either walking out of the class or toward me and Cadence so they could sign up for the writing competition. Once the last person had signed up, I handed the sheet to Mrs. Marley who thanked us and told us we'd done a good job handling the meeting before we walked out.

"You stuttered a lot." Cadence teased.

"I think that's my fault."

Billie's voice and the feeling of her arm wrapping around my shoulder made me jump. I looked up at her, smiling a little at how damn cute she looked in her black beanie and the graphic tee I'd let her borrow yesterday.

Cadence laughed. "I think so."

She didn't talk to new people that often but it seemed like she was warming up to Billie quicker than she usually warmed up to new people. Maybe because they had teasing the hell out of me in common.

"I'm gonna go find Caden. Pretty sure he's in the gym and Julian probably is too so...bye!"

She practically skipped off, leaving me alone with Billie.

"You think me becoming a stuttering mess all of a sudden was your fault?" I chuckled. "It wasn't. I had to pee."

"Mm." She hummed. "There's a party at Julian's house this Saturday. I'm pretty sure your friends will be there. How about you?"

"No can do, I'll be busy."

"Doing?"

"Literally anything else."

I opened the door and walked outside and toward Denny's car. Knowing him, he's probably been fussing for the last few minutes about me being late.