{22}✔️

A/N: This story has been out for less than a week and it's already got 1K reads! That's a big deal to me. Thank you so much for reading and hopefully enjoying the story! ILY!

***

Dahlia's POV
************
"Yeah, but like...what do we do with it?" She stared at me blankly as she asked the question, her arms crossed over her chest in a defensive manner as she made sure to stay at least a few feet away from me. I rolled my eyes before letting out a small giggle.

"Lock it in the closet until—" well that was meant to be a joke, but I quickly cut myself off as I remembered what had gone on in my childhood. I sighed and shook my head before starting over, seriously this time. "We just have to take care of it—him, for a few hours."

"But like...what do we do with it?" She questioned again, her eyebrows furrowing as she backed away even further.

"Dude, it's a kid not a bomb." I chuckled as I tried to get closer to her, but she quickly backed away again. "I—I'm not touching it. I've only held a baby once in my life and I dropped it."

"Billie, listen if you don't want to stay I understand, but I really think you'll warm up to him in no time." I told her before going to sit on the couch, cradling the baby's head as I did. He's only around three months old and he doesn't seem to be much trouble. He's only been here for like ten minutes, but he's just slept the entire time and from what my neighbor, Mrs. Justine, had told me that's all he really does. Sleep, shit and eat, actually, is what she said he does.

"I want to stay, but I've never really been around kids, especially not babies. So, you've been warned." She muttered before sitting down on the other side of the couch. She stared at the little boy in my arms and practically clung to the arm of the couch as she tried to keep as much distance between them as she possibly could.

I've never in my life met somebody who was legitimately terrified of babies until now. I guess this is just yet another trait of Billie's that makes her so different.

I had been outside grabbing the mail this morning when my neighbor had started a friendly conversation with me as she got her own mail. She'd mentioned wishing she could go on a date with her boyfriend tonight, but she was stuck babysitting her nephew because her sister had to go to the ER because...her and her boyfriend had been trying something new in bed and it didn't go well.

I had eagerly offered to babysit for her so she could go on her date despite the fact that we've never even gotten to know each other and I don't exactly love kids. It's just that today is Saturday and that means that I'll be going back to school after tomorrow and that thought is driving me insane. I can't stop thinking about it. This week had flown by and as each day passed, I grew more and more anxious. I wish I could just stop time or live the same day over and over again or something. I'd rather do that than return to that hellhole.

Rather than having a mental breakdown about it, I'm just trying to keep myself busy. It's only noon and so far I've already cooked breakfast, made lunch, cut the grass, got the mail, folded the clothes, washed the dishes and reorganized my entire closet. And now I'm babysitting a child that I don't even know.

Billie, somehow already knowing how much of a mess I was today, had come over a few minutes ago with hopes of helping me feel better.

"I'm gonna put him in his car seat while he sleeps and then we can just watch TV and chill, okay?" I smiled softly at her, hoping to calm her down. She nodded quickly.

***

"No, Billie. I'm not wearing any chains on my date." Cora rolled her eyes as she pushed the chains Billie was holding up away. Billie pouted as she put them back on and then went to go sit on Cora's bed.

Billie's style is the absolute opposite of Cora's so her actually being helpful in choosing what Cora wears is not happening, and I'm not being much help either. I'm too distracted.

"That skirt is hideous, kid." Billie rolled her eyes as Cora looked at herself in the mirror. She was wearing a pink, fluffy skirt with lots of frills. I wouldn't say it was hideous, but it's definitely extra and not my style.

"I wouldn't wear it on the first date." I contributed before looking down at my phone again. I kept deleting and then re-downloading Facebook throughout the week. I wanted to just stay off, but I had to make sure that Kai's profile and that stupid post weren't back.

Every time I looked, it was always the same thing. Her profile was still suspended and the post didn't pop up.

My head snapped up as I heard baby Rumi start crying again. Billie froze in her spot as I got up to walk toward the carrier he was resting in. "W—What's wrong with it, whys it crying like that?" She questioned quickly, hopping up from the bed. I let out a small laugh and shook her head.

"Billie, you're being ridiculous. Babies cry sometimes. He's probably hungry."

"Well, he can wait a few minutes to be fed! You two have been next to no help and Matthew is gonna be here at seven!" Cora whined as she yanked another skirt out of her closet. "What about this one?"

"Please tell me where you shop so I can make sure I stay at least a hundred miles away from it at all times." Billie rolled her eyes.

"Cora, it's only one. We have plenty of time to get you ready. I'm gonna go downstairs and feed him and then I'll be right back, okay?" I didn't stick around to wait for a response. I quickly left the room, shaking my head as I heard them bickering over whose style was better.

I made the bottle as quickly as I could and then gave it to Rumi. He calmed down immediately and happily gulped it down as I paced around the kitchen.

I let out a small sigh as I pulled out my phone to download Facebook yet again even though I'd just checked it not long ago, but my eyes widened as I looked down and saw that Kai had texted me. I had deleted her contact but I recognized her number by heart. Why the fuck hadn't I blocked it?

I opened the message quickly, hurriedly scanning over it.

You need to meet me in front of the school, 6 am, Monday morning. Or else.

Or else? What the fuck does she mean or else? What else could she possibly do to me?

************
A/N: I feel like this chapter sucks because I had writer's block. I wanted to do another chapter before Dahlia goes back to school but I didn't have any ideas. Next chapter should definitely be better!