{108}✔️

A/N: updating again bc I'm no longer dying of asthma woo!

*************
Dahlia's POV
**************

"To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come."

The girl on the stage waved a hand in front of her face and smiled, drying the tears that she'd produced while delivering that soliloquy.

"That was amazing, ugh—" I looked down at the clipboard for her name. "Misty? Great job! It's just...We're literally doing Annie. Not Hamlet."

"Oh, I know!" She nodded quickly. "It's just that, ugh, well, I don't have any of the lines from Annie memorized. I've never seen it or...read it...if it's a book? Never even heard of it until we had the first meeting! You know...Yesterday." She grinned.

"Right...So, you'd like to play Annie, the lead, but you've never...I-I'm Sorry—" Cadence snatched off the glasses she'd bought to look more serious before letting out a small laugh. "Honey, I have to laugh. To be Annie one has to be Annie. We're looking for someone who knows how to embody everything that Annie is. We need someone who knows everything there is to know about Annie. Do you even know why it's a hard knock life? Do you know why Annie's an orphan? Do you even know who the character Miss Hannigan is?"

"Well, I—"

"I don't think so. With all due respect—And very little is due—I'm going to have to ask you to get off of my stage!" Cadence yelled, gesturing for her to get off. The girl slowly began to walk off before Cadence yelled "Quickly!" And then she began to jog.

"Ugh, but wonderful job, though, Misty!" Mrs. East shouted through her mic. She turned to us and gestured for us to turn our mics off and we did before she began talking again. "Cadence, we've talked about this! You have to be nicer!"

"We have thirty days to get everything done. We have thirty days to cast these parts, get props, costumes, make sure everybody knows their lines...If my calculations are correct, and they damn well are because I'm always correct about everything, then we don't have the time to be nice. But, yeah, if you want this play to be a total train wreck, I can be nice!" Cadence hissed.

I was in the middle of them both, Mrs. East on my right side and Cadence on my left, and I just stared forward as they talked, not wanting to get in the middle of it...I mean, well, technically I am, but you know.

"Next!" Cadence yelled after turning her mic back on. I watched as some girl that I didn't recognize shoved the guy that was supposed to be up next out of the way and then ran up the stairs and onto the stage in front of us.

"Hi!" She shouted into the mic as soon as she was in front of it. She cleared her throat, sent us a small smile and then began belting lyrics.