5: WATCHFUL EYES

"Trust a werewolf but never a vampire," Lucius warned upon entering the uncanny looking village that he had just saved from being assailed by the mantikhoras.

The village consisted of concrete houses with sable brick walls and pointed roofs. The floor was embedded with white, gray and black pebbles and as we walked past the metallic gates I noticed that the residents didn't like to show their appearance much. Armored people stood underneath the shade of houses and trees and a few walked wearing an ebony cloak and with the hood pulled over the head.

"Why?" I asked him.

I had never met a vampire before therefore I cannot place judgment.

"Why not just trust no one?" I deadpanned.

If you trust no one then no one can betray you. Living alone was the easiest way not to get hurt.

"If you make a mistake there will be no one to blame but yourself. If you achieved something alone the rewards will be yours alone," I added further.

"You're basically telling yourself to live like a hermit and relish a slow but sure insanity," he commented with an amused expression.

"Prorsus (Exactly)," I responded earning myself a groan from the older man.

"Lucian you need other people to live. Who will you depend on to catch you when someone pushes you off a cliff?" he asked me.

What a stupid question devised by cretin.

"The floor," I answered.

Lucius cackled and pushed my cheeks together so that my lips will protrude from the squished cheeks. "You're funny otouto but I'm referring to a person. Who will have your back when you're in trouble?"

I was temporarily lost of what to respond. Briefly I remembered that I was supposed to answer the Royal family, Segreth and the rest of the Higher Order however; that option was gradually vanishing.

I looked around me to search for the precise reply and the only beings I can see that would be there to catch me were also the beings that made this kidnapping possible.

"You and Argo will take care of me won't you?"

It was the most sensible response I can give him. They were the only ones who will and can save me. They had the responsibility to do so since they had taken me out of the Kingdom.

Lucius's smile became a soft expression of adoration.

"Of course I will. Argo and I will always be there for you. But Lucian, we aren't the only ones you need. There are lots of people who would be willing to be friends with you. They will be there for you and in return, you will be there to help them when in need. That's how many creatures still survive up to this day; they aren't alone," he explained and picked up my hand and moved it close to his lips.

"Let your emotions roam freely. Don't let greediness take over you. Learn to love and care for others because when you do, the fruits are sweet."

Everything he was telling me was only placing a heavy burden on me.

"I do not understand," I deadpanned.

Lucius simply snickered and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. He pulled Argo's reign and we ambled through the streets. The cloaked-covered individuals moved their heads towards our direction as we pass by and Lucius's hand that went across my back gently yet firmly pushed my head from the side for me to look straight.

"You'll understand soon. You will love someone, you will care for him or her; you will cry for that person; you will be angry at that person; you'll learn how to forgive and you'll learn how to sacrifice. There are many things about the basics of the world that our parents deprived you off but even though they are just basics, some people don't do it as well. Do not fret. We are not in a rush," he encouraged.