23: Rat

Lucius called out an important meeting and this time, he included Lucian and me. The docile-looking yet actually unswerving Lucian was still half-asleep as he leaned against my shoulder while the meeting went on. He didn't seem like he was going to show any interest on the topic any time soon even if the issue at hand primarily concerned him.

"There's a rat in the boonies," Lucius sternly announced. "That's the only explanation why number XII figured out where our hideout was," he concluded while he held the token that we had extracted from the corpse of BEBE between his thumb and index finger.

Lucius' face showed silent umbrage that screamed the triviality of this situation. He was definitely perturbed that someone from an organization that he took pride on was a double-agent.

This kind of thing shouldn't be a surprise.

No matter how eminent and tight-knit an organization was, a rodent will always be able to create a hole to live inside. I give Ulmer and Basba as my primary examples. Those two lived up to the title of "shitty and shittiest" in the best of their abilities.

If we can only get a hint of what kind of stench this rodent emitted, then we'd waste no time and hunt the pest down. It could be anyone and that anyone can actually be in this room containing the most important figures of this group.

"Lucian must need snacks to wake him up droog. When are we going to go to the kitchen?"Fenris asked.

My instincts kicked in and I caught Lucian's head that was slipping off my shoulder. I released a sigh of relief and heard his innocent and faint snores that came out as soothing breaths.

"Lucius won't appreciate us going out while he's aggravated like this breux. It's necessary for us to be involved in this meeting because someone in the scums is working with the people who want to take Lucian from us," I explained to my wolf who gasped in horror.

"Say it ain't so droog! Fenris is going to start digging for graves!" my wolf growled.

"I see no other possible explanation unless knights from the Kingdom were able to keep up with Aramastus' speed," Laeroth supported.

"Or Aramastus could be the rat, no?" Lettice suggested.

"Do you want me to skewer a bamboo stick in that windbag of yours and suck out all your blood?" Aramastus calmly threatened.

Lettice giggled and playfully smacked Aramastus' shoulder with her delicate looking hand. "You really can't take a joke, can you?"

Aramastus grunted. "Any jokes coming from a tasteless vegetable are greatly unwanted," the vampire-scented ancient retorted.

I really wanted to bet on the blood-sucker scented swine but Lucius was always with him thus every move of his was monitored. Then again, what if he sold out the hideout's location while claiming that he created a diversion to confuse the knights?

"Aramastus will be the last person to betray us; he's willing to take his life when I got to him after the war. He hates the Kingdom more than anything," Lucius defended his subordinate.

Sounded reasonable but he still stunk like those leeches.

"What do we do about this Lucius?" Ikesha asked.

"Only a handful of people are to be allowed to interact with my brother. Strengthen our security, closely monitor food preparations, and keep an eye out for people who are wandering suspiciously. I'm leaving my brother's safety in Caleb's hands. Crowley and the other newcomers can be included in his security."

Garrison hummed in interest. "You're going to trust the newcomers that easily?"

Lucius smiled bitterly. "I have a feeling that the rat is someone who has been with us for a long time."