30: Why now?

Pain taught the concept of fear to the living. It had taught the conscious to strive for pleasure and to avoid any stimuli that could cause internal and external torment.

Though pain may seem something that should be avoided at all costs I was drowned in it. They made me go through with it every single day until my body got used to how it felt. I wasn't dumb to it but I was numb to it.

"When you become insensible to pain, you have no reason to achieve pleasure. Pain and pleasure go hand-in-hand. I will provide you all the pain in the world until you surpass even the most stolid person."

The silence of the cave was torn and debris began to fall from the punches thrown by an enraged man. I did nothing but to avoid the strikes he was giving me but there were times when luck suddenly switched sides.

"You can't avoid me forever! Just surrender and give yourself to me!" Slade howled breathlessly.

The more I avoided him the more his behavior became erratic. He seemed too motivated to capture me and each time he missed, his rage increased immensely.

"STAY...STILL!"

I have to find a way to get out of here.

"I don't give myself to meat eaters," I deadpanned.

The man growled monstrously and a spiky black tail sprouted out of him with his scales suddenly increasing in number.

"But things can be negotiated if we settle this in a civil manner," I noted.

Slade disappeared from his spot and air was knocked out of my lungs. His grasp on my neck tightened as he cut the oxygen off from my lungs. I can feel his sharp nails digging into my skin while he pressed me against the rough and bulky walls of the cave.

My luck finally ran out and went to have dinner.

"I finally caught you..." he panted.

His red eyes glimmered and his jaw slightly elongated. The way he wrapped his hands around my neck struck a string within me. It was the string that made me grow limp and powerless.

This was no game anymore.

He wasn't planning on letting go.

"You'll stay here. You won't go anywhere. I won't let you leave."

My lips moved to speak but no words managed to come out.

To break the broken you must use the same methods on how he was broken in the first place.

"You can't breathe? Of course you can't. This is one of the ways you can get killed and if you go out there, I swear on your father's throne that you will get throttled while you bleed from below the back for getting plowed by those filthy pigs."

I wished at that time I grew the courage to be disobedient. If only I developed the common sense to leave.

I bled every day while I was inside the Kingdom under my parents' protection. There was no swine, no filthy pigs and no mutts that did those things to me; it was only royalty.

Iltut was a charismatic leader. He was a man suited to be King. He was man who could rule the people.

Yet he was also a man who destroyed what life I had. He had demolished me. He had killed the fire in my heart and chilled the warmth that a child should have. I grew up shattered with no purpose ahead of me.

My eyes began to deceive me. The dead man who I was just beginning to relinquish from my life stood in front of me with his hands tightening around my neck.