37: Sin, Saint, and Strength

The floor I was lying on was sheathed with a thin blanket, with the coldness of the floor easily seeping through the fabric.

I must be dreaming.

My body was sore from lying down on the hard surface for a long duration of time while my hands and feet were bound tightly.

Perhaps there can be some truth in this.

My eyes blinked at the dimness of the room with only a single ray of moonlight escaping from the partially opened curtains.

There was no doubt about it.

The cold breeze of the night would make the curtains sway gently and the sound of the crickets filled the line of silence that could have occurred. As I watched the curtains sway from the gentle breeze, a figure with gleaming red eyes appeared at the shadowy corner of the room.

"You're awake..." he spoke.

Yes, I was definitely kidnapped.

Klepton emerged from the shadows with a small smile decorating his lips. "I thought you'd sleep until morning."

I shut my eyes and let my head rest on the ground. "I would if I was provided with a mattress."

I heard a small chuckle from my new and improved rapitore and sensed him making steps towards me.

"Forgive our lack of resources. We just moved in after eliminating every Grim in this temple but it would seem that they did not have what I was looking for," Klepton told me and sat with his legs folded and with his hands cupping his knees.

"Grim?" I questioned.

"Yes, Grim Reapers. There are a whole lot of them scattered all over the world. They collect souls and are perceived as one individual."

I think I heard of this before but my good memory cannot be bothered now.

"Release me or you will face a panicking werewolf at your doorstep," I warned him.

Klepton's grin widened. "You think that werewolf has a chance against me?" he asked.

"Yes, provided that you won't cheat like last time," I deadpanned.

Klepton crossed his arms and tilted his head at me. "Oh? Well, I must do apologize. I wasn't informed of the rules. My subordinate was only trying to help me."

"Nothing you say will make a difference. Release me," I resisted.

Klepton pushed one leg forward and withdrew one leg towards his chest.

"You're right. I wasn't called Sin Klepton if I didn't swindle my way to victory," he murmured before pushing me on my back and sliding his hand under my shirt to feel my chest.

He inched his face close to my own and pinched a tender nipple. "If I were to kill you now, would you have any last words?"

I maintained undeterred by his eyes that were meaning to daunt his prey and found his warm hand comforting.

"I've said everything in the past when I faced the door of death many times so you will not milk any fear from me. Just know that if I die, I cannot assure your safety. You'd soon follow the same fate and the only difference is—I won't be asking for any last words from you. It would be a waste of my time," I replied.

Klepton's eyes widened in amusement. "What an interesting fellow. Killing you won't be fulfilling at all"

He rose to his feet and snapped his fingers. The ropes loosened and I was brought to a stand as if my body had a mind of its own.