56: Promises

The laughter of children drifted in a soft melody while they played without care or fear of what had transpired in these wrecked grounds. They playfully shoved each other, with some children taking the action with delight while the others wailed from being ill-tempered.

Sevor took leadership with the restoration of the tents while Slade hunted for the ingredients that he will use for dinner. Elik and the other freed slaves helped around with the chores while Caleb and I rested underneath a tree. Peaches was nowhere to be found but Kox assured us that he was still here and was not used with this many people relaxed around him.

The Vosredal Prince was recuperating inside the first tent that Sevor managed to fix. Although he didn't deserve to have his wounds treated, Sevor patched him up but tied him down with the same chains that he used on his slaves. He had passed out from fear and exhaustion but his arm was managed to be reattached. Vampires had a fast recovery rate.

Crowley and Ziru were taking a nap with the young boy laying his head on Crowley's stomach. They always seem to show their dislike for each other but anyone could see that these two had a special bond-much like father and son or so what Caleb had told me.

Somehow I could understand what Caleb meant by that kind of bond. I had some of my memories of my otousan when I was a child. Those pieces of memories had good parts in them that would depict my father's adoration for me, but what stood out the most in those memories was when he turned his back on me and never once protected me when I needed him the most.

He was my father but he acted more like a stranger. Both he and his wife abandoned me. They left me to be scarred. They left me to be broken over and over again. I bled and no one came for me.

They betrayed me yet okaasan would claim her love for her child as if she had shown it in the past years of the suffering they willingly put me through.

"Lucian?" Caleb called out and placed his hand on my clenching fist.

I didn't notice that I was holding my breath until his voice pulled me out from my deep thoughts.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

I barely nodded my head and I relaxed my hand under his grasp.

"What is your father like?" I asked Caleb who seemed to be startled by my question. His gaze relaxed when the reason for my question dawned on him.

"My father was a great man. He was a brave, fair, and strong alpha. He saw something in me that no one could. He never gave up on me even when I had already lost hope in myself. Even in his last breath, he protected me. He never blamed me for my weaknesses and instead; he helped me overcome them," Caleb told me, his eyes and lips were smiling from pride before he became embarrassed and let out a sheepish laugh.

"I could go on and on about him but it'll take me more than a day to boast that man. I miss him. I miss my family," Caleb lamented.

His eyes glimmered with tears and he groaned and shut his eyes tightly to refrain himself from crying.

I reached out to gently pat his head and Caleb responded by hugging me from the side.

"Every child is a parent's pride and joy," the voice in my head whispered. "I'm sure King Lohann and Meria saw you just the same, but fear caused them to make fallacious decisions."

They were afraid?

What were they so scared of?

I was just their child but I was never their pride and joy. They should not act as if they were the victims.

"Caleb..." I whispered, feeling restless because of the painful thumping in my chest.

Caleb pulled away but had his hands remain on my wrists.