35: Squawkey

"Lucian!" Slade yelled.

Fenris sidestepped from the enraged dragon and bolted away. I held on tightly on his dark and fuzzy fur and watched as the colors of the forest went by in a breeze as we raced through it.

The werewolf didn't stop for a second and kept running. He plunged through a creek, hopped over a fallen tree, and avoided monsters as much as he can until we reached a moss covered cabin. He heaved from exhaustion and I slid down from him to remove the extra weight from his shaky legs. He collapsed to his side and slowly transformed back into Caleb.

I squatted in front of his face and placed my hand on top of his head. "Are you alright?"

Caleb nodded with his eyes closed. I looked around us and found that the forest was still unharmed. Why those people back there decided to stay inside a cave that was rotten to its core will forever be a mystery to me. But then again, I only say that it was a mystery to kindly and considerately cover up Wye Fye's selfishness. It wasn't mystery; it was simply Wye Fye's idiocy and self-centered being.

You have gotten what you wanted. I wish you all the luck. Wye Fye be strong.

I walked towards the cabin and opened the door. I expected a room that was the same green covered moss as the outside, but what was presented to me was a clean and homey place. The ink-tinted sheets of the bed were free of wrinkles or signs of recent use. There was a red carpet spread under the table and an ivory chaise longue in front of the fireplace. No one seemed to be at home at the moment judging from the dead silence being maintained as I completed my short tour.

I returned outside to tell Caleb of the cabin. We could rest there for awhile until the owner comes back. Seeing that he must have left it without even locking the door, he was inviting visitors to use it and abuse it.

Much gratitude to his generous behavior.

I crouched in front of Caleb and poked his forehead.

"Caleb...wake up," I deadpanned.

No response was given by the exhausted werewolf which gave me no choice but to exert hard labor.

"I will carry you then," I sighed.

I got onto my knees and lifted his arm. "If you wake up with bruises and broken bones, please know that I did my best in carrying you there. This is the evidence of my care and desire for you to rest on a soft bed," I explained.

I placed his arm around my neck and secured him against me by his waist. I stood up with a grunt and carried his body with me. He was very heavy. He couldn't even move his legs.

This was impossible.

My own form was trembling from the attempt of keeping him on his feet. We haven't moved an inch from where we stood and my arms were already straining from the 10 seconds of intense lifting.

"Caleb!" I rasped.

I took in heavy breaths with each slow step taken. As a Prince who exiled himself from the throne, though not known to be accepted by the royal family yet, this must be the hardest quest that was ever thrown at me. There was just no greater endeavor from the past that could compare.

When my arms couldn't lift him any further, I 'accidentally' dropped him to the floor.

"My deepest apologies; I am left speechless from my own guilt. How horrible of me to have let you slip through my hold," I deadpanned.

I grabbed both of Caleb's feet and hauled him towards the Cabin. Superb, this proved to be much easier but more hazardous. Granted that he may wake up with abrasions and bruises, but as long as this got the job done, he wouldn't mind that much would he? He'll just have to include the extra wounds to his healing process.