49: Until we meet again

"This is unforgivable; this is demeaning!" Segreth screamed as he slammed his fist on the table.

If both of his legs were functioning he could be pacing around right now from the distress he was experiencing. The leg I snapped into two was splinted with bamboos and was elevated on a chair.

Boy was he full of life. Maybe I should break the other leg?

There was another man with him who was watching him with a deep searing glare on his eyes. His hair matched the paleness of his skin and his eyes had a greenish-blue hue with a golden halo gleaming mischievously from where he sat. Once Segreth had noticed the intense glare being directed to him, he lowered his gaze in shame and clenched his fist tightly.

"I am sorry for my outburst. I shall...This will not happen again."

The man poured himself a clear velvety beverage in a hard crystal glass before raising the glass in an eye-level and looking at Segreth through its transparency.

"Failure after failure after failure I am sure you are very mortified to even be alive," the venomous-looking man spoke in a gravelly voice.

"It will not happen again. I swear that I will win the Younger Prince's favor."

The other man scoffed and stared down at Segreth scornfully. "The reason why you fail is that you underestimate Prince Lucian. You are deceived by his pureness, his innocence, and his youth but he is not a mere powerless child. He is as mighty as the King, as cunning as the Queen, and as precocious as the older Prince. Prince Lucian is a bakemono (monster) and he should be treated as such."

The stitches at the corners of my mouth parted even further from the sudden snap of anger searing through me from that one word.

What?

What did he say?

Did he just call him a monster?

A circle of smoke wheeled around me but it was suddenly dispersed by the Chicken Wings standing beside me.

"The hue of your power is the same as Prince Lucian. If you do anything rash, His Highness would be the one paying the price. I will not let you soil his good name."

"Did you hear that?" I asked him, setting aside his warnings. "Did you hear what they said about him?"

I still couldn't believe that they would utter something so unwarrantable about the kid. What did he do? There was not a single bad hair on his body. Heck, the kid hadn't even grown his pubes yet.

The winged-man who had his arms crossed in front of his chest had lowered his sharp gaze and nodded.

"I heard it. These people had these intentions from the start. When they failed to manipulate the older Prince, they immediately switched their target to the Younger Prince. This is no surprise- power attracts slithering snakes."

I looked away from him, still having my doubts about his intentions. "What about you? Why are you doing this?"

A glimpse of sadness hinted in his eyes. "There were mistakes with charges and I ended up here. Despite knowing that the Prince isn't human, I can't get myself to abandon him even when Heaven is already ordering me to withdraw."

Not comprehending everything he was saying, he must have realized that his explanation was gibberish to me. All his foreign terminologies were dog's poop.

"I am an angel created from the same God who created you. Angels are only to guard humanity and as you can see, the Prince isn't from the human race."