58: XIII

"Everyone, get away from that thing!" Sevor yelled out with much urgency in his voice.

The monster of tar grew further in height and width as he absorbed more unfortunate souls within its body. Stratiotes that became a part of him poked out from the gooey substance of his form. It was like Segreth became a carbuncle of repulsive mutation that you can never escape from.

They wanted me to marry this thing? I must be the luckiest man to have ever lived. Imagine waking up to this grotesque handsomeness—I would never want to wake up again.

My head throbbed painfully and my vision became blurry. I was still losing an excessive amount of blood because of uncrowning myself. It was weakening but I never felt this free.

That crown was the very reason why I was suppressed. It silenced my voice, shackled my heart, and bound my wings. Though dethroning myself was the reason why I was bleeding now, keeping that crown would only cause me to bleed for eternity.

Segreth's emerald eyes became clouded like a dead fish and his new form swayed abnormally as if he was dancing. Arms were thrown left and right, aiming to hit anyone too slow to dodge. I managed to avoid the darts of his assault but my body was warning me of my limits.

The voices inside my head, including that man who always spoke whenever I was overwhelmed by negative emotions, became quiet.

Children screamed in fright and the adults led by Elik assisted the little ones up to the cliff.

At first, Segreth's movement was sluggish and harmless, but as we continued to dodge his eccentric motions, he became more aggressive and harder to avoid.

A limb shot out from behind him and made its way towards the fleeing group of adults and children.

My left foot ground firmly on the floor and a wall of steel loomed in defense. More limbs grew out of his back to pursue them but shields of steel continuously rose in response to his every assault. Wooden spears with metallic heads pierced through his body of tar and I summoned dark clouds from the skies to shoot electricity towards the blob.

Segreth screamed menacingly and I heard Sevor shout:

"Lucian no! Burning tar will release poisonous chemicals to the air!"

To reverse the effects of my harmful attack, I swerved the smoke away from anyone and splashed polluted water on the burning tar. Due to the lasting effects of the blaze, Segreth continued to emit smoke.

Sevor leaped and landed by my side before taking a deep breath and inhaling the smoke into his lungs. The strength and capacity of his lungs were outstanding and almost everyone lost their toes as he breathed in.

Slade, Crowley, and Caleb hurried in rescuing and reviving children who had lost consciousness after being deprived of oxygen.

Their expressions were disheartened and frightened. Slade's voice cracked as he screamed the name of the child who he was trying so hard to save.

"Oi, Maru, wake up damn it! Wake the fuck up! You can't just leave like this, kid. Open your eyes! Maru!"

His scowling face may show coldness and uncaring nature, but Slade was the one who cared for these children the most.

And it was my fault that these children were suffering now.

If I wasn't here, this wouldn't have happened to them.

I was the cause of their deaths.

All of this was my fault.

Kox floated beside me and moved from one spot to another before a limb could reach for him.