22: The Scent of Someone New

Something was definitely wrong with Fenris today. I admit that he had times when I ended up doubting his cognitive and rational thinking but those moments were minimal...very minimal. My wolf was poles apart from the rest but he was special in a good and fantastic way.

But really...what the heck had gotten into him today?

"Breux why are you storing food in the pit?"

Someone tell me why that fresh kill wasn't in our stomach yet.

Fenris ignored my query and plowed the dug up soil back to the pit where it was extracted, burying the stag in the process. That stag should be in the pit of our belly for digestion and not in the pit of soil for decomposition. I pray to the Goddess that Ulmer would get an allergic reaction to his own fur and possibly die from the lack of air because if he caught the scent of this stag, Fenris and I would go on another few days of eating weeds.

My wolf sprinted out through the dead forest and I was left in great wonders on why he was suddenly ignoring me. Did I say something wrong? Fenris had never disregarded me for anything I would say. If I did say something that I think that would offend him, I would apologize without delay. After all, it was him and me against the world now.

"Talk to me Breux, remember that there shouldn't be any secrets between us right?"

Yes, it was just the two of us. It wasn't as if I felt ungrateful for having him but even when we had each other, the world around us felt so dull and colorless. I was sure that Fenris felt the same way. We lost our mate at the same time that we lost our pack. It was so sudden yet the pain was excruciating. The sense of doom was there. It was an abrupt crack to a mirror of hope that quickly shattered into irreversible pieces.

That day I thought it was all over for us. Though it was painful but we were ready to accept death as it was because...we already lost everything. It sounded pathetic of me but I truly wished that we weren't here now. It didn't matter if there was no funeral or if our bodies would be openly decomposing for a passerby to see. Dying was a hundred times better than living a life emptied of purpose.

There was no point on seeing another sunrise.

There was no point on opening these eyes.

Because every time we breathe, it just reminded us of how alone we really were.

"Breux?" I called out in my last attempt to catch Fenris' attention.

"He's here Droog! I can smell him!" my wolf excitedly chirped as he ran around in circles.

"Huh? Who's here?" The only person I knew who was with us in this decayed and hopeless forest was Ulmer, but I doubt Fenris would ever feel excited for that stronzo no matter how good-natured my wolf was.

Fenris abruptly stopped on his circling before leaping up like an excited pup and howling "MAAATE!" shamelessly.

"Fenris what the heck is happening to you?"

No, he couldn't be talking about our mate. Our mate was dead years ago and if there was one person who I'd suspect making my wolf like this that would be...

"Fenris you're excited about Conall's mate. He isn't our mate," I reminded my wolf. This was really unexpected. Who knew we would run into him in this place? Don't tell me he was a werewolf hunter.

Still, I knew the longing Fenris had but it wasn't right to settle for our deceased brother's mate just because noona used him as a replacement to save our life.

This just didn't sit right with me.

Fenris continuously disregarded my warnings and sprinted away. The closer we got there the more restless my wolf became. I was very worried for the future events because I didn't want to be involved with Conall's mate in a way that my brother could have been involved with him if he was still alive.