64: Upset Love

"...Brother?"

The armor-clad man turned around and Rui shot his tail up to ask him what his business was with our group.

I didn't want to believe that the man was Lucius. My big brother, though a scatterbrain most of the time, was still capable of surviving through many complex situations. He was born to be out here. He was one of the Kings of the wild. A perilous environment was his natural habitat.

He avoided death and death avoided him unless Peaches fetched him himself.

Rui returned with a scowl on his face.

"What happened kid?" Crowley asked.

"He flew off with his horse-meat before I could ask him," he replied.

I released a breath that I did not know I was holding.

"It's going to be alright. Lucius is a strong knight; he won't go down that easily," Crowley comforted.

The fight settled down when Peaches finally had enough. He released a powerful wave of a dark force that hailed smoke and drummed vibrations on the ground, which sent the other four to different directions.

The four groaned in pain but their will to fight did not die yet.

"I won't...let you get away with this!" Caleb cried out in fury.

The anger and pain in his voice were evident that the tremble of it pierced through my chest.

What was making him feel this way? I did not understand. What did Peaches do?

The werewolf got right back on his feet and he lunged with his claws, aiming to strike him down. The reaper vanished, perhaps out of pity, and left Caleb searching frantically over him.

I need to talk to him to clear any misunderstanding. There was nothing to be so infuriated over.

"Hey, are you guys done being immature dicklets now?" Crowley them called out.

...

...

...

"Onii-san, do you want to play whack-and-bite?" Buck asked.

We were preparing to leave for the Black Crystal Mountain but Caleb was nowhere to be found.

I knelt in front of Buck and patted his head.

"I'd like that but...I'm searching for Caleb," I said to him.

Buck's smiling face reduced to a saddened one.

"Onii-chan has been very down since you came back because you smelled different," Buck spoke honestly.

I tilted my head at him in confusion. I was aware that I haven't had a decent bath ever since I left the castle. I never had a chance of a proper scrubbing. But was it enough reason for him to be antagonized?

"How do I smell?"

Buck smiled naively. "You don't smell like Caleb-onii anymore. When Rui smelled different, I get upset too."

Ah...

"Thank you, Buck. Let's play once we get to a safer place okay?" I told him.

Buck nodded and wrapped his arms around my neck to hold me into a tight embrace before running off with the rest of the children.

The activity that I did with Peaches must have really erased Caleb's scent on me. The werewolf had always been possessive and to come back to him with a completely new scent must have made him feel betrayed.