53: Put a ring on me

Seeing him close again and knowing that he was their legacy gave me the chance to do what I couldn't do for Saint and Squawkey-san. Sin was a bad man for taking lives out of satisfaction and I could never understand his abrupt need to keep me by his side. His actions cannot be pardoned but he was now one with the other two whom I considered worth protecting.

"Shinigami back away. I will not let you lay a finger on him," the man warned.

As my eyes unconsciously swept at the details of his blue wings, I realized something very important.

"You are the one who helped Saint," I spoke out.

The man turned his head to acknowledge me.

"That is me," was his simple yet gentle response.

"You are a servant of Him. Why do you interfere? Were you not mandated to cleanse the world of its impurities?" Peach-san questioned in a berating manner.

Peach-san was the reincarnation of Saint's complete naivety, stubbornness, and volition. He managed to possess Sin's robust stature and his endless supply of bloodlust. He was gifted with Skwak's destructive aura while at the same time being cursed with his helplessness to the reason which called for coaxing.

"He does not need coddling nephew. I do not see why you see him help—"

"He is my sweet and delicate peach," I cut him off. People cannot perceive it but I did.

Fragility was not only defined by the inability to protect itself and strength cannot be known by the ability to destroy others in a glimpse.

The Reaper was delicate for he could shatter himself; he was weak for he could not stop himself from doing so.

You can avoid the cliff but would rather jump right into it. You look for the one responsible for holding the knife against your neck without knowing that it was your hand all along.

"You are your biggest enemy," I told the voice in my head.

"Does he remind you of yourself?" He asked me.

"Yes...and up until now I am still bleeding."

...

"Will you still jump into that cliff?"

I held my breath for a while and swayed my head into a no.

"I much rather watch the sunset for now."

"My duties and responsibilities as an Angel are not for you to dictate."

Peach-san glared at him with disgust. "Verräter (Traitor), I shall burn him with you then."

The Angel's form stiffened and Peach-san was dispersed into darkness. He materialized in front of the angel who received his strike on time. His expression and trembling arms showed that Peach-san was a formidable enemy and was too much for him.

Peach-san landed strikes as if it would be his last one but the winged-man was able to endure every powerful hit which could have ended his life in a flash.

"Lucian return to camp and leave the Reaper's territory. I know you want him to come with you but those three people you are seeing in him no longer have their own free will. They are gone. The Reaper is no friend," the angel explained to me as he held the other man back.

Every word he told me was denied with one pang to my chest. My feet didn't move an inch. My mind has never thought that giving up on Peach-san was a possible option.

They may no longer respond to me if I called their name. Saint may not even remember the promise he made me as I carried him on my back. Can Skwak even remember the fruit he ate when we first met? And Sin...He was never my friend. I could not think of anything that would—