32: Tik tik tik

I watched the young ones gather in one straight line as they waited for their turn to get their bowls poured with hot porridge. Slade's eyebrows were scrunched into a frown while he served them one by one.

"Be careful; the porridge will spill if you hold your bowl like that," he nagged. 

Once Sevor and Wye Fye walked past the line of starving kids, it exacerbated Slade's mood and his scowl improved for the worse.

"Hurry up the line is getting longer!" he huffed.

Wye Fye shot me a look and rolled her eyes. She pulled Sevor close to her and leaned her head against her lover's shoulder.

I did not know why she was so exasperated with me. Was it something she ate? Was I reminding her of how much she was inferior to the ground we stood upon?

"Get in line," I heard Slade argued.

"You want a pregnant woman to stand in line?" Wye Fye scoffed.

"I much rather have you fall in line," Slade hissed.

"Slade now is not the time..." Sevor warned.

Slade leaned forward, with his nostrils flaring. "Adults are served last. The children will be fed first."

Wye Fye lost her patience and tried to snatch the wooden ladle from Slade, who held strongly on the dipper.

"Can't you see that there's a child in me?"

This time, it was Slade's turn to scoff. "I see no child in you woman and even if there was, I wouldn't even bother to lift a finger for it even if an orc tries to step on it."

Wye Fye gritted her teeth and wanted to lash out but Sevor stopped her.

"That's enough!" Sevor yelled.

"You—I'll kill you!" she screamed.

"Stop it Wye Fye!" Sevor shouted. Wye Fye broke free from his hold and glared at him.

"Why aren't you doing anything to defend me? I thought you love me? How can you let him insult me like this?! How can you let him insult your child?!"

"Simple; because that isn't his to begin with," Slade drawled, enraging Wye Fye even further.

Sevor dragged the hysterical Wye Fye away and once she was out of sight with her screams slowly fading, the children regained their appetite. Who wouldn't lose their ravenousness after seeing an unsavory creature waltz in?

My eyes rose to the castle floating magnificently among these disastrous ruins. I would like to go there, bring Wye Fye with me, and leave her there for good. That land was high enough to match her ego.

Buck sat beside me and slurped the steaming hot soup. There were some bits of meat in his soup in which he enjoyed with passion. These creatures really do find pleasure in killing the living just to feast on their corpse.

When the soup cannot be finished any further with a spoon, Buck put the rim of the bowl between his lips and slurped it all the way. He licked the bowl clean and then let out a loud burp.

"I'm so full that I can die now without complaints."

"Don't say that," I said sternly. I did not condone death. I did not like it as much as I did not like Wye Fye.

Buck blushed and scratched the back of his neck. "Oops! Sorry 'bout that onii-chan."

I continued to munch on my celery, making crunching noises while I watched the children play.

Today was a day filled with inactivity. I merely watched others with their daily chores and observed Wye Fye's inflated head bump with whomever she may catch lazing around.