54: Face the Reaper

There was a rigid stretch of atmosphere as our group walked by land. We had long decided yesterday that once the rain halted, we would ride the twins towards the Black Crystal Mountain, however, two current circumstances had changed the arrangement. The first occurrence that they deem problematic was having Peaches travel with us. Although the reaper was silent and was actually behaving himself, his blood-thirsty and menacing aura was unchanging and was still throwing almost everyone off.

Crowley was edgy, with his facial muscles tensing every now and then. He was glancing at the hooded man, as if he would abruptly tear the caravan into shreds, which he can clearly do in a wink.

"Can someone explain to me why we are travelling with him?" Crowley asked in a hushed tone, clearly intimidated by the silent fruit. He pulled us into a huddle to converse secretly. The huddle consisted of Ziru, Kox, Caleb, Crowley and me.

Caleb snorted and glared at the reaper.

"He's only here because Lucian wants him here."

"But he's super strong isn't he? He can leave whenever he wants to. Maybe he wants come with us?" Ziru said.

"What if he's actually escorting us to our deaths?" Crowley suggested in a hushed yet panicked tone.

"You wouldn't want to know how you'll die Crowley." Kox deadpanned.

"Death by banana," I murmured causing them, except for Crowley and Kox, to snicker.

I noticed that Peaches had stopped walking and when the huddle noticed it too, they froze in fear.

"OI!" Slade growled and tore our cluster apart. He picked up Ziru and Kox with a false smile on his face. "Care to share what you shitheads are talking about?"

Sevor placed his hand on his twin's shoulder and nodded in apology. "Please forgive his intruding behavior. What he meant was; please let me join; I want to be in the gossip too."

Sevor's words agitated his twin and he spewed more words of denial before storming out and showing the worst tantrums that he can ever convey by head butting trees.

The second problem we had was the sun suddenly blackening. It had been morning for quite a while now but something had obscured the sun's light and had been causing extreme anxiety towards the twins and Caleb. The children were more emotional than normal and Slade was even crankier. The monstrous threats were fiercer so we had to build our guard up to protect the little ones travelling with us. Travelling by air was perilous because it would be hard to fight in the skies with monsters being more daring.

"Slade, mantikhoras on your left!" Sevor warned.

The strands of flesh stretched from its origin and Slade snarled deeply at the success of beheading the last of the mantikhoras that attacked us in a herd. The reaper did not lift a finger and the herd wasn't brave enough to assault him.

"What the heck is that thing blocking the sun?" Slade asked.

"It is the moon's shadow," Kox explained. "Nothing to worry about," he further added.

"Well I never saw such a shitty day like this before. Sure it isn't a sign of doom's day?"

Kox lifted his head to the darkened sun with a blank expression. "Perhaps it is. Perhaps it is a bad omen."

Everyone gazed at the blind boy with anticipation until Crowley broke it by whacking his head.

"Oi! Stop scaring everyone. I don't know how you do it but whenever you open that mouth of yours things turn out the way you foretell them. Are you some kind of a prophet?"