15: Promise

The very beats of my heart ached with the heat of detestation.

I did not wish to avenge anyone. I did not desire to rob them of their lives with the sheer satisfaction of doing so.

I just wanted them to stop.

Why won't they stop?

What was the joy of hearing the innocent scream in agony?

What was the pleasure of ending lives that had yet to flourish?

I did not understand.

I can never understand.

My hands trembled in front of me as my mind and heart were thrown in a cyclone of bedlam. I did not wish for anymore deaths, however; how can I be so sure of their surrender under clemency?

I wanted nothing more but to fight for the weak, for the mistreated, and for the people who had lost hope but wasn't there any other way other than ending them?

I shut my eyes tightly to relieve my eyes from the sight of the detained and the tortured.

"I am sorry..." I whispered.

I know how pain can be numbing. I did not want it on anyone else and yet I... What have I done?

I would never want to become the monsters I detest. Perhaps my leniency would cost me of an unsure future. Perhaps mercy was laughable in a world such as this one but I shall not take any offence to it for the world was overrun by fools.

I dismissed the spheres of water robbing the djinns of air but kept the bars of iron afloat and pointed at them. They were visibly weak from the suffocation and they slowly descended to the ground bearing no signs of malevolence. I orchestrated the waters to sweep through the fire relinquishing smoke from the relieved combustions and ended my term above.

The dawn of grieving set upon the village. The fairies that still carried a little bit of mental and emotional capability in them plus the other races that happened to stay used the bars of iron that I molded to contain the djinns inside. I have heard from them that djinns were weak against iron and steel and it was by luck that I happened to use them earlier.

An outbreak of wails came one after another as the living mourned for the dead. One distinct and loud cry magnetized us to the source and we found Ziru beside Guthrie who was visibly being consumed by fire from the inside as he faded slowly into ashes. Crowley was right beside Ziru having burns on his body and no other Sky Hoods were around them.

"Papa, please don't go! Don't leave me...Please... I have no one else to go back to," he whimpered and held tightly on Guthrie's hand.

Their short reunion was fate's way of organizing a final farewell.

"Taking that one baby boy home despite all the chiding I received was one thing I never regretted. It was the best decision I ever made..." Guthrie chuckled and cupped Ziru's cheek which was soaked with tears.

"Papa...Papa..." Ziru sobbed painfully and relentlessly.

"You will grow into a great man Ziru. You are brave and you are strong. Don't let my death stop you from growing. I will always be proud of you. No matter what they say...you'll always be my son," Guthrie continued before shifting his attention to Crowley. "Hey big man...take care of him...please take care of him..." Guthrie requested with a smile before his expression broke down into that of sadness and tears.