39: I SKWAK

I realized that being conscious to one's surroundings can be very bothersome. You start to experience tribulations, unfortunate events like kidnapping, and meet people who will shoot you by mistake, particularly at your talocrural region which is commonly known as your ankle.

Now I was not pinpointing any dead pigtail woman or if someone knew a woman with these charactertistics that I was mentioning, it would be just a mere coincidence. I knew no grudge in my core and did not even know how it would feel like.

Setting aside the dead pigtail woman buried under an innumerable number of rocks, being unconscious wouldn't lead someone into meeting a perverse old man in a guise of a harmless and genuine concerned Chieftain.

You would really prefer to sleep forever.

My morning started peacefully as it should be but uncertain for the rest of the day. The birds were tweeting, Squawkey was squawking, and I felt a warm and thinly body sprawled on top of me.

Saint's breathing was more settled than before and he wasn't as pale. The medicine really made him recover but I doubt that it came from any of the villagers. I held up the blue feather from before and twirled it between my fingertips.

Whoever gave it either had blue wings or had a bird with blue feathers. The problem was;  I did not recall meeting anyone with any of those.

I waited for Saint to wake up despite the growing numbness of my limbs. This must be his first slumber wherein he didn't experience breathing difficulties and or the sense of doom from nearly dying. It would be rude of me to disturb him.

Maybe I should take him away already while he rested? He wouldn't be struggling or complaining if I borrow him from the village for awhile. I will return him once the villagers migrate to another flourished area.

"That is considered as kidnapping nephew..." the voice in my head pointed out.

"Define kidnapping fine gentleman?"

"It is taking someone away by force," he replied.

"It will not be considered as kidnapping if I ask him politely, no?"

"..."

Saint began to stir in his sleep and I found him open his crimson stained eyes that had the slightest slit in the middle before they widened in embarrassment.

"I-I-I-I-I'm sorry! I am terribly sorry for sleeping on top of you! You must have felt great exhaustion when I should have served you with greater hospitality for what you have done for me!" he blurted out.

He sat on his knees with his hands curled on top of his thighs. His face was as red as his hair and I couldn't help but to give in to the urge of patting him on his head. I hooked the blue feather to my crown in remembrance of the person who practically saved his life.

As I stroked his head, Saint visibly relaxed but the pinkness of his cheeks remained.

"You are in no condition of serving hospitality to anyone. What you should prioritize is your health and well-being. Do not mind me. I...have been pampered long enough."

Saint became teary-eyed and his shaky hands came up to cover his face. "Why...are you so kind to someone like me? I am scared. I am not used to this."

I dropped my hand to my side and a flash of disappointment sprouted on his expression.

"I am doing this because being battered and ridiculed shouldn't be things to get used to," I answered.

Saint's eyes shut tightly and yet as tightly as they were shut, his tears passed through like a river. "But...this is what I am given with. This is where I was born in. My fate was already written. It is inescapable."