Chapter 16 X Maverick

Jake and Logan got a party pack of tacos to share a frosted mountain dew for Logan and ice tea for Jake, they ate in the car under the parking lot's flickering orange lights in the otherwise dark place, side by side.
Logan could tell Jake was eating slower then normal he was still a little quiet and seemed deep in thought, Logan knew regardless of what he said, Jake would feel like he had to take care of everything himself and being sick not knowing if he could keep everything up, just stressed him out...which would only make his condition, whatever it was, worse. His little brother wasn't a liked person across social media however, the only thing he was respected for was his ability to make so much money to have made such a huge career for himself in such a short time. Logan could see now why Jake was so insane with his work ethic, and giving his 100% into everything he did, and now, if he wasn't able to do that...What would he do?

"Jake, do you want to talk?" Logan asked getting his brother's attention, Logan didn't want to have an emotional talk, he was never good at reading emotions well and saying the right things at the right times, he hadn't admitted it, but he always was jealous of Jake's ability to communicate with others better and be so sympathetic towards them. It was Logan's turn to help now though...Maybe now they could make up for lost years when he use to somewhat bully Jake back when they were kids, and especially make up for him taking the internets side while everyone was against Jake in order to boost his own career.

"Talk about what? We should be going home" Jake said suckling some sweet, refreshing nectar from his stretched out straw before licking his lips getting the remaining drips off. "Jake, where are you at, mentally?" Logan asked boldly going for it, "At home, in bed, so I can be on time at set tomorrow" Jake responded coyly, Logan chuckled a little, "Jake I'm being serious!" He said, "Since when?" Jake asked taking a small bite of his taco, staring at Logan while he crunched, "Since you got sick" Logan said his tone stern now, Jake gave him a pathetic little smile before looking back down at his drink stirring his straw around in it.

"I don't know bro..." Jake said, "I just...It's all so fast, I'm confused, I'm stressed, I- I'm" Jake stuttered seeming to be at a loss for words, "Scared?" Logan suggested, Jake looked at him dead in the eyes, and briefly, through all the joking, Logan could see the fear in his little brothers eyes, it broke his heart a little knowing as brave as Jake was being trying to put his team and work before his health, he was still a human and was still afraid to learn more about this "illness".

Jake nodded his head in agreement balling his lips as he looked away from Logan, the reality of the unsure situation really setting in, "Logan-" Jake started to speak, but he was interrupted by a cough, he tried clearing his throat, but he coughed again and again, Logan's expression quickly turned to concentrate as he tried to Pat Jake's back, Jake held his fist to his mouth trying to cover it as he coughed over and over, the cough sounding more wet as his fit continued, he finally splattered out specks of blood unto his hand, which Logan gasped at, a fear tightening in the pit of his stomach having actually witnessed this now.

"Are you okay Jake? Do you need something? Take a sip of drink, calm down!" Logan said starting to get frantic, his heart was pounding and he felt himself lightly shaking anxiously, watching his brother trying to stop his coughing, Logan rubbed his back doing his best to help even though he was scared out of his mind watching his baby brother suffer.

Jake took in a deep raspy breath as he finally stopped coughing, rubbing his mouth with the back of his hand smearing some of the blood on his lips and hand, he looked from his hand to Logan who stared his eyes holding deep concern, he looked like he was barely breathing he was so focused on his brother.

"I got blood in your car..." Jake said apologetically his voice coming out a little hoarse, "Jake!" Logan exclaimed before grabbing Jake pulling him into his own body, he hugged him tightly rubbing his back in smooth circles, before squeezing him lovingly.
"I don't care about this car!- Are you okay?" Logan said, "I've never heard you so frantic" Jake said almost like he was talking to himself, Logan held onto Jake's arms pulling him away from his body just to look into his eyes, "Jake..." Logan started to speak, but stopped feeling a sting in his heart, all he'd done to his brother was killing him with guilt now, hearing Jake be so surprised he cared for him only made it worse.

"Take your medicine bro" Logan settled on saying, trying to keep from getting too emotional as he sighed in frustration, "Okay" Jake said he opened a bottle getting a iron pills and one for nausea, "Can you take me home bro?" Jake asked before taking one down after the other, "You don't want to finish?" Logan asked looking at the remaining food, Jake smiled sadly, "I can't, I don't want to get sick, I just really want to sleep now bro" Jake said almost ashamed, "Okay...I got you" Logan said with a sigh before starting up the car.

Something had to change, the team would have to know eventually, and Logan knew he needed to tell their parents sometime...Maybe it even meant changes for himself, Logan glanced at Jake before looking back at the road as they drove, as uncomfortable and weird it was, maybe Logan would also have to slow down his crazy "Maverick" lifestyle and stay with Jake until he got better.