Chapter 71

Pam, Greg, Jake and Logan were cruising around the city, the daylights sunshine seemed to be captured in all the headlights and bright signs glittering through the brisk night now.

The Paul family, since breakfast had remained together, Jake's sickness reminding them of how much they loved and cared for each other, feeling a little guilty for the wasted moments where they claimed to not "have time" for one another...

Jake's spirits were up and lively, he felt like he was finally living again. The smiles, laughter, the warmth of just being with the people he loved was enough to make him forget he was sick, in fact Jake ignored any painful symptoms he had to the point his family stopped asking if he was okay, they were living in the moment, and for the first time in months it was a moment not surrounding pain and fear, it was genuine happiness, and secretly Jake wished they never had to go home and get back to that routine.

"Are we heading back anytime soon?" Greg asked as he cruised down the street, multi colored lights glistening against the windows from the outside, the low rumble of the wheels on the asphalt below them causing a relaxing atmosphere. "We have to, I have to work- and Mark's been texting me" Logan mentioned, he, like Jake hadn't been on his phone much, trying to enjoy this time with family, although he tried to keep from making a big deal out of it, there was a sense of relief, pride and all around bliss watching Jake out, seeing him talking and making jokes, it was like everything was back to normal, he didn't truly know what Jake was feeling, but he knew what he saw, and that was a more mentally healthy Jake.

"Anywhere you wanna go before we head home?" Pam asked looking back at Jake, "Two places actually" Jake said turning from the window to his mother, "Name it boy!" Greg said, "Store, and Erika's apartment" Jake said, "Erika's?" Pam questioned skeptically, "You must really be feeling better!" Greg laughed, "I am, I wanna chill at Erika's apartment tonight" Jake said reclining back in his seat. After the slight awkwardness of the morning before she left, Jake wanted to surprise her with a few gifts and show her he really did trust and love her, Erika had been taking time out of her busy schedule to see him all this time, he figured he could return the favor.

"Are you sure about this- What do you think Logan?" Pam asked, "Erika's knows Jake's condition, he'll be fine with her, she's probably missing him anyways" Logan said making Jake smile, "If your sure..." Pam said frowning, she didn't much like the idea of Jake spending the night at her apartment being sick, he was only in his second round of chemotherapy, and they were behaving like he was cured...

Logan was sent in the store by Jake's request, to pick out a bouquet and Reese's cups for Erika, along with a card beautiful on the outside, but empty inside.

Logan was in and out pretty quickly, trying to keep himself low, as to not attract attention and get noticed by any fans, as Logan walked out of the store, bags in one hand, the street lights on him venturing across the otherwise dark parking lot, his phone buzzed unexpectedly.

Logan took his phone out, the soft light illuminating his face as he saw another text from Mark.

Oh hi Mark: We need to talk ASAP.

Was all it read, a quick sinking feeling went through him as he wondered what it could be that was so important, but he felt comfort in knowing it wasn't anything to do with Jake, since he had him in the car, Logan decided to at least chill Mark out and let him know he got it.

Logan: K, heading home bro.

With that Logan's phone was back in his pocket and he got back into his car beside Jake, his dad starting it up, slowly pulling out of the parking space getting back on the road after a brief wait at the stop sign. "An empty card?" Logan questioned Jake as he gave it to him, "You gonna write in it?" He asked, "Yeah," Jake said grinning as he switched the light on begining to fill the blank page, "You're so cheesy" Logan snorted, "Its called romantic" Jake corrected him,