Chapter 30 My road Down

The first week of Jake's recovery went by roughly, Jake was suppose to be keeping up with his medicines and making sure he draining properly while getting his much needed rest, but with the team suffering from his absence and Set beckoning him to come back, he had started going back out, at least using an Uber since he wasn't allowed to drive yet, the family were apposed to Jake going back to work, but there wasn't much they could say to stop him without stressing him out more, so they kept their mouths shut, only trying to be there for him when he got back, in their eyes he at least seemed to be getting better since he was even able to go to work again.

Jake was coming back home from a meeting when he got the call, to say it came out of nowhere would be a lie, but he certainly didn't expect it, maybe it was because he considered everyone like family there, but at the end of the day he was just another worker to be replaced when he was no longer the perfect fit.

Jake was in the back of an Uber, instead of being his normally talkative self, he was falling asleep in the car, he was extremely stressed out with everything going on, it seemed so much harder to keep up with everything now that he wasn't feeling well, even though the hole in his lung was patching up, he still found himself fatigued and even getting his winded cough back, Jake would have voiced these pains to his family, but Pam crying threw him off, he didn't feel he could tell them without the tears anymore... Jake's voice was getting a little better now, able to speak more then text, but everything was still a struggle. Jake had shut his eyes and was trying to sleep in the car until his phone chimed, he knew he couldn't ignore it and slowly drug himself off the side of the car door he'd rested his body on to answer the phone.

Jake cursed seeing it was work, he quickly rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and cleared his voice before answering, "What's up?" Jake answered, "Ah, Mr.Paul, how are you today?" The voice said, "I'm doing great, how about you?" Jake lied, "I'm doing fine..But it is with a heavy heart I have to deliver you this message" He said, tones shifted, Jake sat up straight squirming a bit in his seat uncomfortably. "What's happening? What's up?" Jake asked frowning, "Mr.Paul you've been with us many years, we've enjoyed the laughs, the smiles, and success in those years, but it's time we part ways, you have been terminated" He said his voice dropping towards the end, Jake stared in shock he felt like he just got a swift punch to the gut, his ears had pressure in them, the words echoing in his brain trying to make sense of it.

"Like...fired?" Jake whispered, "I'm sorry Mr.Paul" He said, "But why? what'd do?" Jake asked disappointment in his voice, "It's come to our attention you are no longer the right man for the job..." He told him, Jake tried swallowing the lump forming in his throat before speaking again, "Why not? I still want to work there, I practically grew up on the set" Jake said with a nervous chuckle, "Mr.Paul, please don't make this harder then it is, we're sorry, you have been missing days on set causing everyone's timing to be off, you seem almost lethargic while acting- which isn't in your character, it's already been decided, I'm sorry" He said, Jake wanted to fight, but it was no use, he'd just been fired...

"Thank you for all the years, goodbye..." Jake said, "Good bye Mr.Paul" He responded before hanging up, Jake sat there listening to the phone beeping in his ear, it still didn't feel real, his stomach was in knots, he felt like he was dreaming, why? After all this, he had to be fired, it hurt badly...The friends he made there felt like family at this point, but for him to be thrown out for being sick showed him he had only been working for a business, no matter how close he felt to the people in it.

Jake repeatedly cursed his voice hushed as he put his head down in his hands after finally putting his phone away, he shook his head wishing this wasn't happening, the driver looked up in his mirror looking at Jake in the backseat, "Sir, is something happening?" The Driver asked seeing Jake's odd behavior, "I'm good" Jake replied plainly, the Driver nodded looking back ahead, Jake kept his gaze out the window his mind racing; Jake had spoken to his manager about his situation, they talked about him needing to keep his work up, and about all the bills he was racking up thanks to going to the hospital, he had thousands of dollars to pay for the checkup and treatments, and now he'd just lost his job...Since he got sick everything seemed to be going down hill, no matter what he was trying to do, his health got worse, and everyone wanted something from him...Now he had to tell his managers he got fired as well, it seemed his nightmare was going true, now what was next? What if his investors found out and pulled out? He'd be in even worse debt.

Jake heard the pavement crack as the Uber parked in front of his house, "Have a good night man" The driver said, "Thanks, you too" Jake said his voice tired, he got out of the car sighing before going to the house, knowing this would also be a strain on his team when he told them. *Let's get this bread I guess...* Jake thought with a melancholy expression.

A/N: Sorry it's kinda short, I'll get more up soon! Like and Comment! And follow me on Instagram @ Bronzebabybird
I love you! 😍