• 27 •

Cecil paled upon hearing Kai's response.

Kai...knows...?

But how? That-that didn't happen in the original novel...he...he was tricked by Xue to the very end.

I...I...how should I even react to this?

Cecil bit on her lower lip, looking down. She didn't know if it was better for Kai to know, or not to know at all.

Xue's eyebrows twitched. "You knew?"

"Ever since I fought you, I knew," Kai nodded, solemn. "I knew you were me, and I am you. My soul...has been calling me, telling me to fuse with yours."

Cecil swallowed, finding it hard to breathe. The glass container in her hands, that were hidden behind her back, suddenly felt heavier.

I caused it.

I was the catalyst that led to the fight. If I didn't request Kai for that favour...

Kai glanced at Cecil, who had been silent the entire time. "Cecil, you've known since the start, didn't you? That Xue was here to absorb my soul, ever since that day stopped him in the alley?"

Cecil snapped her head up, and she did not bother to hide the conflicted look on her face.

"...yes."

However, instead of Kai cursing out at her, or showing her a hostile expression or even one of pain of being betrayed.

He grinned at her, with the same old toothy grin.

"That's a relief."

Cecil was stunned. "Wh-why?"

"If you didn't know...I didn't know how to explain it to you, if I were to disappear someday."

Cecil didn't know how to handle her current overwhelmed state, and she hurriedly shoved out the glass container behind her back, placing it on the table.

"Th-this is the herb to help with the absorption...it's...it's to prevent Xue from killing the previous occupant."

The herb was fully matured, it's flowers were glowing brilliantly. They were bigger than before, when the random stranger took it from the slope for her.

"So this is what you've been training for? Since the very start?" Kai suddenly began to understand. "That's why you drank the Widerlich willingly?"

"..."

"...yes." Cecil forced out, biting on her lower lip.

Xue was surprised at this revelation, his wide, grey eyes staring at Cecil in disbelief. The room was once again filled with silence, and Cecil looked at Kai.

She knew she just had to look at him.

Kai who has been standing at the corner of the room all along, started to move towards Cecil. Cecil couldn't help but stumble back, her eyes darting back and forth, she wasn't sure how Kai looked at her now.

Does he detest me? That all of this was for the sake of Xue?

But...Xue is him and he is Xue. Bu-but, they are not exactly the same person either.

...was I wrong to do this? Was it selfish of me? I...I...

Kai reached his arms out and Cecil stiffened, bracing herself for any angry shoving or pushing.

...only that Kai embraced her.

Cecil was stupefied.

"Cecil, you've worked hard. Don't worry, I'm not angry, neither do I feel betrayed." Kai tightened his arms around her. "When you said you were doing this for the sake of someone you regard as precious, it was Xue."