• 67 •

Author's note: Update schedule is back to 4 chapters per week, every Monday to Thursday!

If it was her only chance at escaping, despite it being a shot in the dark, Cecil would accept the challenge.

"Fine--"

"Ah, hold on," Leonaut raised his eyebrows. "I haven't said my condition for winning."

"What do you want?"

"Of course, the two of you would remain behind and," Leonaut transformed his flute into an ice sword. "You tell me your name."

Cecil furrowed her eyebrows.

What a strange condition for winning.

"Fine, I accept. Let's start." Cecil then turned to Hana. "Hana, stay put somewhere else."

"Mhmm!"

"So eager," Leonaut smirked, before turning to the bandits behind him, his smirk becoming cold. "All of you leave, you useless bastards."

"Yes, boss."

Cecil observed Leonaut, seeing that he was actually bandaged up around the arms and legs. Leonaut noticed her gaze on his body, his smirk becoming a smile.

"Don't worry, you don't need to go easy on me because of these injuries."

"I won't."

"Your expression says otherwise."

Cecil touched her face, puzzled.

Did I unconsciously look at Leonaut like he was Xue?

Leonaut stared at Cecil, seeing her bemused expression.

Weird.

I actually find her cute.

Sensing Leonaut's gaze still on her, Cecil looked away, taking out her daggers.

"Let's begin."

***

After that one terrifying swipe of Xue's spear, Kai only gave him directions when he required to.

On the inside, Zasiok and Alric were playing chess while listening to Kai. Apparently, Alric had a chessboard and chess pieces among his goods in his room.

Kai: "Keep heading straight."

Everywhere Xue looked, it was all trees and it annoyed him. It didn't seem like he was getting closer, but the soul fragments in him were the only clue to leading him to Leonaut. Thus, Xue head on straight without any complaint.

Kai shut off the link connection to Xue. He laid down on the cushion in exhaustion, sighing heavily.

Bang! Thud!

"Shit, what the hell!" Kai was startled, yelping as he bolted up from the cushion. He stared at Zasiok and Alric, seeing the chessboard on the floor as the chess pieces were scattered around.

Alric had reeled back in shock, staring at Zasiok with his wide, black eyes.

"I...I've lost four times in a row!" Zasiok barked, exasperated.

"That's cause...it's your first time playing it..." Alric encouraged softly, still stunned. "Losing four times...isn't so bad...?"

Zasiok waved his hand angrily, marching to his room. His room resembled one of the rooms located in the queen's castle.

Alric and Kai glanced at each other. After which, Alric showed a pitiful expression.

"Who knew he was such a sore loser?" Kai shrugged.