• 86 •

Cecil staggered back, wearing a look of pure fear.

If Veau wanted to kill her, anything she said or do, wouldn't help her in any manner.

Veau proceeded to smile lazily again.

That smile didn't make Cecil feel better.

"It's no fun scaring people," Veau stated, sounding bored. "Fear isn't the kind of ugliness I want to see."

Cecil swallowed nervously, blinking her clear eyes at Veau, taking a step back. It was obvious how she still regarded Veau with doubt.

"Like I said, I won't kill you," Veau stepped aside, gesturing for her to move. "You are an interesting acquaintance to have."

Cecil glanced up silently at Veau, before moving forward. She still needed to head to the clinic to get the bandages for Xue's hand. Without it, he wouldn't be able to handle the bow properly

Veau walked beside her, scanning the academy curiously.

Cecil furrowed her eyerows, not understanding why Veau was even following her or even here in the first place.

"...are you planning to follow me the entire way?"

"Who knows?" Veau shrugged, taking in the sights of the academy.

Cecil sneaked a peek at Veau, the frown still on her face.

Since the start when she met him, she had never once felt any killing intent from Veau. At least, a killing intent that was directed to her.

This entire time, he has helped me out in a way too, multiple times.

His character...doesn't seem to be one of a villain. But yet, in the novel, he was portrayed as a villainous--or more precisely, an evil man.

Genuinely evil, down to the core.

He caused Xue to become the way he is, but at the same time, he is helping all of us out the entire time.

Veau looked back at her, his eyes glinting.

"Widerlich."

Cecil felt tempted to roll her eyes at Veau. "That word won't work on me anymore."

"How upsetting," Veau responded, nonchalant. "Does that mean I won't be able to see that ugly face of yours again?"

Cecil grimaced, looking at Veau.

Again with my ugly face, this guy...

Veau suddenly let out a short laugh once he saw Cecil's expression.

"That's it! That ugly expression, I thought I would never see it again."

"Good for you." Cecil deadpanned.

"As I thought, being ugly suits you best."

Cecil sighed, picking up her pace and Veau did the same. She gave Veau a look, but he continued looking around the academy, humming thoughtfully.

Recalling the conversation with Xue earlier, about his mother, the burning question she had kept in her heart the entire time started to repeat in her mind. The question was never answered while she was reading the novel, and neither was it answered by the author.

Only Veau...can answer it.

Cecil gathered up her courage, she didn't sense anything bad from Veau. Moreover, from the amount of times he had somewhat helped her...a question couldn't land her in trouble, right?

"Veau."

"That tone only means you have a question for me, go ahead."

"Have you ever considered Xue as your... friend?"