• 108 •

Author's note: Sorry for the late update, I was feeling unwell, hence...the lack of update on Wednesday. Also, Selamat Hari Raya Haji to all the Muslims out there! 

“So, you didn’t answer me.” Xue said, staring at the cobalt blue-haired man seated opposite him. 

“I don’t answer a lot of things, Xue,” Veau raised his eyebrows. “You need to be more specific.”

The two men were seated opposite one another around the porcelain table. On the table laid a chessboard, and Xue moved a chess piece of his own. They were playing in the middle of the heavenly forest, surrounded by animals that spied on them within the shadows. 

Beside the two men, a tiger spirit was sprawled across the grass, drifting off to sleep as it basked in the warm sun. The tiger spirit yawned noisily, showing off its pointed teeth, glinting in the sunlight and the weaker animals cowered deeper into the shadows. 

“Your turn,” Xue gestured to Veau, resting his chin on his palm. “And you were talking to me about love, and asking whether Hana was important to me, remember that?” 

“So you want to know about love? Is that your question?” Veau questioned in a casual manner, picking off a long blade of grass near him as he moved another chess piece. “I won again.”

Xue clicked his tongue, waving away the chessboard on the table. He gave another wave around the table and a jug of wine appeared, along with two empty cups as he started to pour out the wine. 

“Yes, about love. I have heard my mother mention that word a couple of times to me, but I can never seem to understand it.” 

Veau flicked the blade of grass towards the tiger whose mouth was still opened wide from yawning, tickling its mouth. The tiger flinched, narrowing its eyes at Veau unhappily and the devil continued his actions to disturb the tiger. 

“If you have your dearest mother to explain it to you, why do you need me to answer that question?” 

“Veau, seriously, have you listened to how my mother explains it?” 

“Enlighten me.” Veau answered nonchalantly, still disturbing the tiger with the blade of grass as he started tickling the top of its head too. 

The tiger bared its canines teeth, snapping at the blade of grass which Veau keeps dragging out from its reach. 

“It is going to pounce on you if you keep doing that.”

Veau smiled lazily, glancing at Xue. “Go on, tell me what your mother said about...love.”

Xue cleared his throat, adjusting his voice to a higher pitch to make it sound feminine. “Xue, my dear son, let me tell you about love. Love is magical and wonderful. It will change your life in ways you will never imagine, and even change you into a better person.”

Xue even made sure to act like his mother, his mannerisms completely feminine. 

Veau snorted, watching as the tiger stood up on all fours, baring more of its teeth as an angry glint appeared in its cat-like eyes. 

“See? It doesn’t make sense to you either, doesn’t it? I do love my mother, but everytime she talks about love, it isn’t like what I feel. Honestly, it all sounds like a bunch of crap--” 

Veau threw the blade of grass as it landed softly on Xue’s nose, making Xue blink in surprise. The next thing he knew, he saw a shadow leaping onto him and Xue yelped in shock. 

“Your mother is somewhat right,” Veau responded as he looked on casually at Xue dodging the irritated tiger. The god-in-training used his light magic to place a calming spell on the tiger. “And also, do not speak like that ever again. You are making my ears bleed.”