Friendly rivalry

"So what brought you here, Hitomi?" Hayate asked pushing Hayabusa away with his leg.
"Aww nothing really," said Hitomi, brushing a strand of hair away from her face. "I just came to Miyama for a competition. So I decided to just drop by."
"So you decided drop in to see lover boy?" Hayabusa asked teasingly, causing Hayate to push him off, throw a blanket over his head and shove two large cushions on top of him.
"Is he okay?" Hitomi asked in concern. "He looks... suffocated..."
"Oh he's more than okay," said Hayate, as if nothing was up. "He's only too used to being suffocated under that thick zukin mask. Right Ryu?"
He obviously didn't answer because he was trying to get the blanket and cushions off his face. He kicked at Hayate with his free legs.
"Are you sure?" Hitomi asked.
"No!" Hayabusa shouted, trapped under the cushions.
"You know what?" Hayate said, getting up. "Let's just go to the garden. It's much better there."
"But it's night," said Hitomi. "Won't it be too dark?"
"Nah," said Hayate. "There're lights outside."
He just pulled Hitomi out of the living room and led her into the garden. Ryu finally managed to get the pillows off him. He took the blanket off and sat up, watching Hayate walking out with Hitomi.
"He got away with it, huh?" Hayabusa said to himself while retying his hair that was all ruffled up. "Wait till she leaves. Then I'll show him."
Hayate and Hitomi sat together on the garden bench. Kasumi and Ayane were still repairing the gate.
"What happened to the gate?" Hitomi asked. "How did it break?"
"Well, those two launched a ninpo spell on intruders that were sneaking around," Hayate explained. "The impact broke the gate. So they're fixing it now."
"Why aren't you helping them?" Hitomi asked. "It looks like they're having some trouble with it..."
"Well they are the ones that broke it, not me..." said Hayate. "So they break it, they fix it."
Just then Hayabusa came before them. He crossed his arms and looked at Hayate with an annoyed expression.
"Best brother in the world," said Hayabusa with a hint of sarcasm. "Well yeah, you did send soldiers after Kasumi to kill her, right? Not surprising..."
"Ryu, stop that," Hayate said to his defence. "It was the shinobi code, not mine..."
"Whatever," said Hayabusa, walking off towards the girls. "I'll help them instead."
He went and helped them to fix the gate. They were almost done, just needed an extra pair of hands.
"So what's going on there?" Kasumi asked, motioning towards her brother and Hitomi while locking the gate. "I heard she bought all of us some snacks?"
"She did," said Hayabusa. "And your brother kept kicking me off so that I wouldn't disturb them."
"What did he do?" Ayane asked, interested.
"He threw a blanket over me and shoved a bunch of cushions on top of me," Ryu said in annoyance. "He's an idiot..."
"Well that's true sometimes," said Kasumi.
"Most of the time," Ryu corrected her. "You should've seen him during the third tournament..."
"Yeah that's true," said Ayane. "He thought he could defeat Genra all alone, but we only managed to defeat him with teamwork."
"Lets see what's going on there," said Kasumi. "Come on."
They went to where the couple was sitting. There was another bench in front of them. So the three of them sat together on the other bench and stared at Hayate with cheeky grins, much to Hayate's annoyance.
They tried to annoy Hayate as much as they can. They soon grew bored when Hayate just ignored them.
"Wait you said that she brought us some snacks right?" Hayabusa asked, bored with watching Hayate and Hitomi. "Lets go and dig in..."
They left and Ryu stuck his tongue out at Hayate while walking into the house, angering Hayate even more.
"What's up with them?" Hitomi asked. "They're acting really weird..."
"They are weird," said Hayate, annoyed. "Anyway, how's your training going?"
"Oh it's going good," Hitomi said proudly. "My father says that I have greatly improved!"
"Great!" Hayate exclaimed. "Care to show me?"
"Here?" Hitomi asked.
"Yeah, right here," said Hayate, getting up. "Come on!"
He led her to another part of the garden, where it was big enough to have a spar.
Meanwhile, inside the house, the others were having refreshing cream soda with ice cream on top. They wanted to have cafe au lait at first, but decided against it as it was night and drinking coffee would only give them insomnia.
"Hey she brought us lots of stuff," Kasumi said, digging in the bags that Hitomi brought for them. "Look, she brought us all of these!"
"I think we can save some for our trip to Ireland," said Mist. "We can snack on the way."
"Good idea," said Hayabusa. "The flight to Ireland is very long. Almost a whole day!"
"Yeah and Hitomi brought us enough snacks to last us a week!" Ayane exclaimed, watching Kasumi empty the contents of the bag. "It should last long..."
"Not with you around, Ayane," Kasumi teased her sister. "You'd finish all of these in one day if you got hold of them..."
"Well yeah," said Ayane. "I don't wanna waste precious food, do I?"
"Wait did you guys hear that?" Sakura asked suddenly.
"Hear what?" Daisy said. "I don't hear anything."
"Shh listen!" Sakura shushed everyone.
They kept quiet and listened to the sound. It sounded like shouts and the kiai of two people.
"That sounds like Hayate," Hayabusa said. "There's no mistaking that!"
"What are they doing?" Kasumi asked, getting up. "Are they fighting?"
They went out to the garden to look. The couple, Hayate and Hitomi, were sparring in the moonlight.
Hitomi was strong. It was a very intense match between the two of them.
"Wait I bought some popcorn yesterday," Hayabusa said and ran back into the house.
He came back a minute later, carrying a big bag of popcorn. He watched them spar with interest, nibbling on the popcorn.
During the match, Hitomi pulled Hayate into a throw, but something went wrong and she fell. The fight ended.
"You've grown stronger," Hayate said, helping her up. "I'm sure you'll do well in the tournament tomorrow."
"Thanks, Ei- I mean Hayate," said Hitomi, getting up and dusting herself. "It would be great if you came and watched too."
"Sure we'll come," Kasumi answered for all of them. "We wanna see you in action too!"
"Thanks!" Hitomi said cheerfully. "I guess I'll be going now. Bye everyone!"
She ran off and got into her car. She was really looking forward to the tournament the next day. She was also happy that she got to spar with Hayate.
"Hey what was the point of trapping me under the blanket and those pillows?" Ryu asked as soon as Hitomi left. "And you said I was used to being suffocated? How could you?"
"Well yeah," Hayate said. "You kept giving me that look. So I had to do something!"
"But that doesn't mean you should just throw a blanket over me and trap me under a bunch of cushions!" Hayabusa retorted. "You should've seen your face when Hitomi appeared. It went from 'refreshing iced lemon tea' to 'lover boy' in half a second!"
"Yeah yeah whatever," said Hayate. "Lets just go back inside. Wait did you guys put the ice cream in the freezer?"
"Yes I did," said Mist. "You guys just left it behind, so I decided to put it all into the freezer and save the ice cream..."